About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

Viking MB545 VR engine

Hi, been trying to source a replacement BS engine for a Viking mower in title.....with no success.

I understand from Stihl/Viking that the engine at the time was a 625/675 series, 190cc and around 5.5hp. Cant find an old cheap mower anywhere with that engine. Think it's a Quantum engine.

Anyone know if I can down grade the engine to a lesser cc and  HP Briggs engine or will it have a big impact on the performance? 

Got to such a point now I really don't know what I'm looking for 🤷.

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• PRO

Have you tried asking your machinery dealer if they've got one in there skip? They will most likely give it you for free.

This one's a bit dodgy: There's a guy I know that looks in the local obituary, see's if it's a big property and if they have skip. He asked first if he can take any garden machinery, fixes it up and sell it on. 

• Really......I wouldn't have the bottle to do that 😂

• PRO

Nor I. I call him carrion! 🤣

• Briggs Quantum engine, number probably:

126T02-3280-B1

• I'll check that out.  Thank you for your help.

I did try a dealer for a "scrap" one out of the skip but nothing 190cc, only smaller ones 125/140 which he reckons won't be powerful enough 🤷

• No luck at dealers so far.

Weird thing is, there are no end of Honda engines available on eBay etc at mega low price compared to B and S ones. You'd think it would be the other way around.

• PRO

If I recall correctly, many of the Quantum engines had or could be adapted to hve a side driveshaft to run the 'power drive'. Certainly they did on the Hayter mowers, which is where they nearly all ended up.

Parts are pretty much obsolete now for some older B and S engines, which (among other things) is what finally killed off the final 'full chute' Hayter 48's and 56's. They were a beloved mainstay of commercial mowing for years, decades even - personally i think I had and wore out about 5 or 6!

Pretty sure I had one of the vikings you refer to - how old is your machine?

• PRO

Hi Joey I have the 545 Viking roller mower its 8 years old its an excellent machine so can understand you wanting to replace the engine . 

When Stihl stopped producing the viking i understand but not certain they just rebadged the 545 machine as Stihl . 

My local gumtree currently has 3 vikings listed a 655 at £325  another machine at £175 and a small viking at £70 . , Amazing at how well they hold their price , They may be sold but buyers not removed the adverts , perhaps worth checking out your local gumtree and buy a working machine or place a wanted advertisement . 

Vikings always got mixed reviews on here more negative than positive but mine has never had a single problem and ultra reliable and purchased already used , dont give up searching on here as i am convinced someone on here will have a non runner with a good engine but just hasn't seen your post yet .

• Hi John 

Thank you for the reply, appreciate it. I'll keep an eye on the local gumtree ads, nothing showing as yet near by at the mo.

Agree on Viking mowers ! Love em. Got three, all 2nd hand before I got them. Had them all around 10 years now I guess and (fingers crossed) never ever let me down big time. Yes had to do some repairs over the years but parts are unbelievably cheap and so dead simple to fix. Never understand how they get so slated on here by some users.

Every Hayter I've had, failed big time.

Every honda I had, failed gearbox everytime.

Would buy a Stihl orange one without a thought 👍

• Hi Adam, yeah the PTO sidedrive Hayters were brilliant, no crazy gearbox to go wrong. Funny enough Ive got one here, 48, full chute, blade brake. I don't use it anymore, maybe I should 🤔

Still waiting for some geezer who left a deposit on it to come back and pay for it.

The MB545VR I have that's poorly is a 2011.

Just don't get why I can't grab a single 675 yet loads and loads of classic 35's etc are everywhere. Guess more smaller mowers are about than the bigger ones. 

I did miss out on a 650 the other day. Was a kick out from a dealer px. Asked if the crank dia/length was ok for the 545 and he said no ! Contacted Stihl, they said yes it'll be fine, same boss etc...........machine by then sold to someone else for £25. Gutted.

This reply was deleted.

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

PRO Supplier

Agrovista Amenity is excited to announce that it will be continuing its partnership with national environmental charity The Tree Council, pledging to sponsor the planting of more than a thousand trees. The trees will be planted over the next…

Read more…