About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

VAT / 2011 charges

what increase are you charging this year?

i increased just 10% to many existing clients and surmise similar this year with all cost to me increasing plus the 2.5% vat increase and all living costs...

i will need sick pay /holiday /bad weather and health insurance inc too.

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• what increase are you charging this year?

i increased just 10% to many existing clients and surmise similar this year with all cost to me increasing plus the 2.5% vat increase and all living costs...

i will need sick pay /holiday /bad weather and health insurance inc too.

• My concerns are the standing and status of our industry with the increase in VAT.

I can't recall how many times, that I have been asked by Landscapers and Garden Designers if I can do a deal for cash and no VAT, no paperwork?  I also know/knew of several Nurseries that were happy with this arrangement.

Through the late 1980's to the mid '90's it was very often, even by VAT registered customers. 

I feel that the VAT increase next week may force more within our industry to turn to the dark side of the economy, with all that brings.

• DID YOU INCREASE PRICES LAST YEAR ?

Dan said:
    I wont be increasing my charges this year. They are high enough as it is. For my commercial clients the VAT will go up off cource as the VAT rate will change on the 4th. For my domestic clients I will absorb the 2.5% VAT rate increase and thus they will see no hourly rate change. I had toyed with the idea of de-registering but wont make a descision till the 3rd Jan.
  • Always a tricky one. In an ideal world we'd all do it but the competitive reality is very different. I continue to avoid vat registration as it would knock me hard in the domestic market...
  • £200 per quarter my god. I wish.
  • Wow!

At £200 per quarter one would be making a profit, before tax of about £1000 per quarter, or around £83 per week.

Something wrong there surely?!??  Bad maths I hope!

• i dont do vat .  not worth it to domestics.

but i could commercial and get vat back for fuel etc etc .   probably just end up with loads of paper-work and paying a lot of tax...

• Why are you not increasing prices...
    Most of my suppliers are increasing there materials by average 8 to 10% petrol and diesel are rocketing vat is increasing.
    Hy do you feel you are charging enough and why should it be you who ends up taking the cut???
    Get your prices up to cover it.

Dan said:
    I wont be increasing my charges this year. They are high enough as it is. For my commercial clients the VAT will go up off cource as the VAT rate will change on the 4th. For my domestic clients I will absorb the 2.5% VAT rate increase and thus they will see no hourly rate change. I had toyed with the idea of de-registering but wont make a descision till the 3rd Jan.
  • Our prices at the garden centre are definately going to rise.

All of the stock is coming into us costing more, plus transport costs are increasing, and of course all of our bills have increased (electricity etc).

We've been trading for almost 9 years and have never increased our prices so it will be interesting to see what happens, we just cannot afford not to increase prices this time round.  

• Im sorry if your working self mployed for £10 per hr you may as well go and get a full time job at the local landscapers. Its not enough

colin said:

would be worth asking if the neighbours gardener uses his own equipment and pays tax etc

but agree on minimum profit in own pocket is better than in someone elses

john grass roots home and garden said:

pricing is a thorney issue i have been told by one of my customers she thinks iam to pricey (£15an hour) she has said the nexts door neighbours gardener charges £10 , so i will keep my price as it is shes a good customer . but at the risk of losing customers iam going to have to bite the bullet with my pricing and absorb the vat rise unfortunately ..as my old grandfather said its best to get 50% of something than 50% of nothing
This reply was deleted.

Trade green waste centres

<!-- Google tag (gtag.js) --> <script async src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtag/js?id=G-WQ68WVXQ8K"></script> <script> window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'G-WQ68WVXQ8K'); </script>

LJN Sponsor

Advertising