About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

Oldest customer at 101 years

My oldest customer at 101 has passed on today.Up to the end he was great to talk to.I am always in a rush but I would find a bit of time to talk to Arnold as he lived on him own.He was educated, a retired business man and could talk about absolutely anything.One day as we were talking he looked at me and said in his well spoken voice" tell me, do you charge me for our little chats" to which I replied " certainly not "Arnold turned around to face me and said " then you must do, times money"Great, I shall miss him and our chatsRest in peace Arnold.

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• That's what life's all about, the old ones are the best, plenty of stories to tell.
  • PRO
    It's alway sad when one of the nice oldies dies. Still 101 is a good age providing he had a decent quality of life. Which I suppose he must have to still be living at home.
  • Yes in their later years the garden gives much pleasure to many old folk and they appreciate a good gardener to help them enjoy it. Your visits become part of the fabric of these peoples lives. I lost a long standing customer just over a year ago and was very touched to unexpectedly receive a cheque for £1000 when the will was sorted out, and I still maintain the garden for his family

• PRO
    I love my oldies! So much to tell. I try and end me day with the oldies so that I can chat without that nagging feeling that the whole day is going late!

I find myself as a gardener being a social worker, psychologist, home help and a sounding board for many of my customers. Never begrudge it as it's what makes my day interesting. Perhaps I should charge? Nope as for many of them I'm the only person they see for extended periods during the week and I'd hope when my time comes someone will do the same for me.
  • PRO
    Just restarted with Albert oldest chap in the village. His wife passed last year. A fab guy who I work with in a unique way for me as he is ex stately home gardener. I'm his muscle, gofer and doer he sits in his chair and tells me what to do. Love working for him as I learn so much about gardening and plants and on occasion how the other half lived!
  • I had a elderly lady I did the garden for  pick the veg and fruit always have a cupper  a peace of cake  and a chat she always said she did not want to get to a 100 and died one day before her 100th birtday  

• Just got the call yesterday, via their home visitor, from two of my oldest customers. I'd been calling them for a couple of weeks since the grass started growing, but had no reply and was fearing the worst. Turns out they had been away for a few weeks of respite care. I was so relieved to get the call and to hear that they are both now back home. I'll be starting on the grass next week. Already looking forward to it - they are a lovely couple.

I have another customer in her 90's, and ex school teacher. She's still as sharp as a needle and lots of fun. I also know she could strike me down just with 'that look' if she ever felt the need! Reminds me of my Mam. She's probably forgotten more than I'll ever know about gardens. Although she doesn't need to, she always makes an effort to find odd things for me to do through the winter as well - thoughtful and kind.

• PRO
      I have a customer with that look. I'd forgotten about it. But yes she can stoke you down and make you feel like your 12 all in one glance. Ohhhhh sends shivers down my spine!
  • I lost two gents over the winter, One was an ex gardener, we would always have a good chat after doing his lawn. The elderly do rely heavily on us for sure. One of my elderly customers is partially sighted and sometimes poisons her lawn or plants by over fertilizing or with weed killer thinking its fertilizer! I suggested to her that we could gravel over her lawn to save her maintenance......  "but then you wouldn't come round " she said!

• PRO
      Brings a tear to your eye doesn't it?
This reply was deleted.

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

PRO Supplier

Agrovista Amenity is excited to announce that it will be continuing its partnership with national environmental charity The Tree Council, pledging to sponsor the planting of more than a thousand trees. The trees will be planted over the next…

Read more…