About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

Honda HRX476 Oil capacity

I run a Honda HRX476 lawn mower, some 12 years old. It has given very good service and I change the oil every season, however there is one thing that always confuses me. The manual says the oil capacity after draining is 550mL. I can only drain out 250mL of old oil and insert just 250mL of new. So what's that all about.

I've tried both tipping the mower on it's side for draining and also using a tube suction pump. Doesn't matter which method I use, there's just 250mL in there. I measure the oil using the dip stick just inserted in the top of the tube, not screwed in and bring it up to the top of the hatched marking on the stick. Still just 250mL.

I wonder what I have been doing wrong for 12 years?

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• OK I have talked to Honda (In Mumbai) they were very unhelpful and as the designers and manufacturers of the engine could only tell me it took 550mL as all the literature has already stated. 

They had no idea why my engine only takes 250mL. I have spoken to half a dozen UK Honda re-sellers and service centres again without any solution. None of them ever have come across this issue. I therefore draw the conclusion that a large lump of something was left in the sump of my particular Honda engine at manufacture so taking up oil space.

• Is it possible that your dipstick is too short? I would try to either get a measurement from Honda of what it should be, or try to find another one

• It's a good idea Ian, but I think you mean "too long", ie entering the oil pan too early. 

This is the dip stick that came with the brand new Honda mower and having talked to Hondas "Service department" I feel getting a dip stick dimensional specification from them would be a step too far.

Anyone else out there with a HRX476 that could assist please?

• Yes- sorry, it was too early in the morning to get my head around whether it was too long or short... Maybe the dipstick was unintentionally swapped with a different mower during PDI checks all those years ago?

what engine has your mower got? Interestingly, I found Honda online manual for HRX476C mower with GCV170 engine, which states that oil capacity is 0.4L.

• Its been running 12 years with no problems....................  just fill it up acording to the dipstick and then forget about the capacity.  I really wouldn't worry about it.  strangely, just looked up the spec for the engine and it says 400ml for the oil!!!

• Yes, I think that is the best route, Maybe the 400mL actual requirement is close enough to the 250mL I seem to be getting.

Thanks everyone for your assistance.

This reply was deleted.

Trade green waste centres

<!-- Google tag (gtag.js) --> <script async src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtag/js?id=G-WQ68WVXQ8K"></script> <script> window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'G-WQ68WVXQ8K'); </script>

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

PRO Supplier

The recent Turf Science Live event, held at North Hants Golf Club in Fleet, Hampshire, brought together golf course mangers and turf managers for a day of immersive learning and networking. Organised by ICL and Syngenta, the event, now in its…

Read more…
PRO Supplier

Agrovista Amenity is proud to announce a new 12-month partnership with Worcestershire Football Association (FA) aimed at supporting the grassroots football community by providing comprehensive grass pitch care solutions.

As a recommended…

Read more…