About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

has this had the problems of drive/grass bag rectified now ?

please dont mention any other models/mowers , so clarity about this shines through !

http://www.cheapmowers.com/acatalog/Hayter_Harrier_48_PRO_Lawnmower.html

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• A friend of mine has the model you mention, and he says it seems to have been sorted, they've done away with the variable speed, and the chute is a little larger, basically its the same as the 56 pro that I have, and I would agree with him that its better, neither of us have had any problems to date. engine is easier to start too, although there seem to have been members on here with start problems, I havnt experienced any.
  • They have appeared to addressed a lot of the problems but not 100% prefect. The 496 does a great job at collecting even when wet. I still think it gives a better cut than the 56. However the biggest issue is the fix speed. I would suggest going to a good retailer (trade sales) rather than on-line. They should be use to this model by now and offer to "unofficially" ramp up the rev's for you. They would also give a loan machine when / if it goes back for repairs.
  • Hayter Harrier 48 VS 19" http://cheapmowers.com/acatalog/Hayter_Harrier_48_Lawnmower_490_.html well would i be better off sticking with a new ?

£80 only more for silver coat, bars, bumper etc isnt much extra - so is a lemon in comparison ?

Graeme @ BGS said:
    They have appeared to addressed a lot of the problems but not 100% prefect. The 496 does a great job at collecting even when wet. I still think it gives a better cut than the 56. However the biggest issue is the fix speed. I would suggest going to a good retailer (trade sales) rather than on-line. They should be use to this model by now and offer to "unofficially" ramp up the rev's for you. They would also give a loan machine when / if it goes back for repairs.
  • Hayter Harrier 48 VS 19" http://cheapmowers.com/acatalog/Hayter_Harrier_48_Lawnmower_490_.html well would i be better off sticking with a new ?

£80 only more for silver coat, bars, bumper etc isnt much extra - so is a lemon in comparison ?

Greenlawns said:
    A friend of mine has the model you mention, and he says it seems to have been sorted, they've done away with the variable speed, and the chute is a little larger, basically its the same as the 56 pro that I have, and I would agree with him that its better, neither of us have had any problems to date. engine is easier to start too, although there seem to have been members on here with start problems, I havnt experienced any.
  • I would go for the 490 but make sure you get it ramped up. Best bet is find a dealer and try it out unmodified and see if you could live with the speed. Don't forget all new mowers have great drive to start with :-)
  • thats what i want to know - but it seems to be worse even underneath lol !!

colin said:
    isnt this like buying a truck with bull bars and metallic paint? still the same truck underneath

Gardens4u.co.uk said:
    Hayter Harrier 48 VS 19" http://cheapmowers.com/acatalog/Hayter_Harrier_48_Lawnmower_490_.html well would i be better off sticking with a new ?

Graeme @ BGS said:
    They have appeared to addressed a lot of the problems but not 100% prefect. The 496 does a great job at collecting even when wet. I still think it gives a better cut than the 56. However the biggest issue is the fix speed. I would suggest going to a good retailer (trade sales) rather than on-line. They should be use to this model by now and offer to "unofficially" ramp up the rev's for you. They would also give a loan machine when / if it goes back for repairs.
  • I wouldnt buy the 490, its the variable speed thats been the problem, I had my other mower upgraded to the same drive spec as the later pro, and now it is definitely better, before I had it done it was in the shop at least 5 or 6 times in a years due to drive problem, new belts, pulleys etc,
    when I bought the pro I emailed Hayter telling them how displeased I was with my older one and they offered to do a parts only warranty upgrade to the later specification, so I would hazard a guess that if they have an official part number for the upgrade like they do, then it must be an issue. I'm use my mowers quite heavily and they do get battered.
  • back to square one ! i like the strength to spin it round on pivot , bumper is useful, hamerite coating looks robust (i saw them at saltex), im not in a race / mad contractor employee . my drive is slow and poor on an incline on a longer lawn............ just wondered about one as i dont want breakdown/ have to push / stress next summer
    :-o
  • I suppose it'll have to be your call ultimately, hammerite finish is nice, and bumper is useful , I dont have a problem with the speed, its fast enough for me, if it wasnt I'm more than capable of speeding it up.
    I think your a Pro so......
    Oh and I agree with the comments about buying locally, I typically have to spend maybe £50 more but you will more than get that back if and when you have problems, like its been said before, Hayters arnt perfect but, and its only my opinion, they make the best rear roller machines for what we do

Gardens4u.co.uk said:
    back to square one ! i like the strength to spin it round on pivot , bumper is useful, hamerite coating looks robust (i saw them at saltex), im not in a race / mad contractor employee . my drive is slow and poor on an incline on a longer lawn............ just wondered about one as i dont want breakdown/ have to push / stress next summer
    :-o
  • sorry i should of typed 496 the new 48 PRO - too much rain has effected my typing skills :-)

Graeme @ BGS said:
    I would go for the 490 but make sure you get it ramped up. Best bet is find a dealer and try it out unmodified and see if you could live with the speed. Don't forget all new mowers have great drive to start with :-)
This reply was deleted.

Trade green waste centres

<!-- Google tag (gtag.js) --> <script async src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtag/js?id=G-WQ68WVXQ8K"></script> <script> window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'G-WQ68WVXQ8K'); </script>

LJN Sponsor

Advertising