About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

Hayter 56 pro 2012, review

We have always used Hayters until a few years ago when we were put off by bad reviews and generally poor feedback from other gardeners especially ones from this site on there newer models 2004 to 2011

At the beginning of the season I was stuck on what rear rolled mowers to buy as our ageing fleet (if you can call four a fleet) of pre 2004 Hayters were on there last legs.

We had flitted with two 21" lawnflites pros both brand new models which lasted not even a year before the inevitable  gear issue cost us £300 each to fix! After the second time in a year and a half, We knew it was time to get shut and so went back to the old faithful Hayter 56 pre 2004.

I got speaking to Graham Mann, a member on here who had recently bought a new Hayter and recommended it to me, So I found a price from a great dealer and bought one.

My Review

The first thing I noticed was the cheaper parts, Wheels, pulley cord handle and anything else that was made from plastic. Visually it looked cheap but once they had been used a few times it was barley noticeable.

The 70 litre grass bag is nice and sturdy and really packs the grass in. like all Hayter grass bags Iam expecting to patch it up from time to time.

The Engine is a  Briggs & Stratton Overhead Valve Intek engine which sounds great and seems to cope with any length of grass, On really long lawns though you will need to start on a higher setting and gradually bring it down.

The out of the box walking speed is a nice steady pace more than fast enough even for me who tends to speed the old Hayters up.

The all important cutting in the wet. Since we bought the Hayter the lawns have never been dry and the Hayter hasn't missed a beat. Today we went to a customers house whos lawn we haven't cut for three weeks due to them being away. The lawn was around 5 inches long and during a torrential thunder storm the Hayter didn't once spit any grass out and filled the the bag to the limit, a great achievement for any mower. Please note the blade was new and very sharp also the grass bag was spotlessly clean. The photo was taken a few minuets after the down pour.

At the moment I love this machine and it has enabled me to work in all weathers and leave a typically great Hayter finish. 

My one and only concern as with all mowers I buy is can they last a season without anything going wrong..... I will keep you informed.

http://www.hayter.co.uk/range/harrier-56-autodrive-es-vs

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I saw a contractor really struggling with his shiny silver Hayter recently, having to clear it of wet grass every few minutes and then restart it as it has no blade brake. I guess keeping it clean, the blade sharp and the bag clear are the key things.

Tony, what problems have you had with the Kaaz? 4 years is incredible from a commercial machine, I'd not be complaining if mine lasted one season, let alone four!

• Cheers for the replies everyone. I forgot to add you also get a years warranty as standard.
  • A friend of mine as recently had his in as it kept cutting out and wouldn't start. The problem was caused by the fuel float needle sticking due to the Mower being in the back of the van and bumping around.

They solved the problem by cutting out the float and putting in a fuel filter further down the line. I think hayter are aware of the problem and pay for it to be fixed.

Hope this helps

Martin
  • Can't fault the 2012 Pro model, paid for it's self many times over. The engine is a vast improvement over 2010 models (same as 2011 one I believe) which is easy start and always starts first if not second tug.  Yes they have cut back and used cheap parts in places and one thing to watch out for is the height adjuster - I would recommend replacing the bolts with something a little more robust.

Due to delays in getting the 2012 model out to the dealers, these particular models haven't yet been fully tested in earnest by the contractors but only a few minor issues have been reported, time will tell?!

Keep the blades fresh, clean out the collector bag and enjoy - it really is a joy to use.  

PS. A Honda dealer advised me not to get their pro model due to ongoing issues so really we are limited as to what machines to purchase.

• I bought a hayter pro this year and so far it has been amazing!! Absolutely love it!
  • If you don't mind me asking. How did you get on with it long term i'm just deciding on a new roller myself.

• Still got it but bought an Etesia 46 now which does most of the work at this time of year. Still runs great.

I destroyed the roller bearing in a few months but replaced under warranty. Still love using it for the finish you get but the Etesia is lighter quicker and cuts better
  • PRO
    I know this an old post but I bought a pro last year as my old hayter finally died (spectacularly). My only criticism is that it's walking speed is too damn slow. Other than that an excellent mower.
This reply was deleted.

Trade green waste centres

<!-- Google tag (gtag.js) --> <script async src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtag/js?id=G-WQ68WVXQ8K"></script> <script> window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'G-WQ68WVXQ8K'); </script>

LJN Sponsor

Advertising