About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

Have you started mowing yet (2013)

Have any of you lads and lasses started to cut lawns yet this year?
I have seen two different contractors out cutting this last week here in the very damp North West.
I know we all want to earn money however I feel its a bit early as yet.
I have got loads of aeration's and a fair few scarifications to do, grounds still too wet in most cases and still too cold to apply grass seed once done.
I have seen a few bold areas of soil were grass used to be caused by large company's out scarifying already
Some areas I have seen scarifyed have been done with passes at 90 degree do you do it this way?(north to south then east to west), I thought you was only meant to go in one direction and do multi passes if necessary.
Cheers

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I was just about to post regards the same thing! Im also in the NW and yes the ground is simply saturated, even walking on it is causing damage in some gardens. Im sure the conditions are the same throughout the country with the weather weve had over the past 18 months. As a rule of thumb our mowers dont come out until March so there is still a couple of weeks, but there are signs of growth, however conditions need to be right and the temp needs to keep rising so this date can change, normally a week or two back into mid March. As far as scarifying goes, ive also seem a certain company on a daily basis ripping lawns to pieces (even with snow on one garden) and they have no chance of recovery at this time of the year.

• PRO

I think it has been a mild winter overall, i'm not surprised people are out cutting...
    I have seen plenty of lawns that have been scarified / aerated by who i guess to be green thumb.

Personally, I don't start to scarify until around st Paddys day as I'm a firm believer that the grass has to be actively growing before doing scarifying.

Having said that i will be out first week in march.

• yes i did one lawn last week as a rule of thumb only if it not too wet and if grass is longer enough.

• Certainly too cold, this weekend excepted, and wet to mow here, and I'm in the supposedly sunny South East!

I've been trying to fend off two clients I'm going to scarify and overseed this year. They've seen other gardens done, and want to know why I'm refusing to do it yet. These large lawn franchises don't help sometimes.

• yes i've already been asked the questions by clients, and i've said no. - I usually tell them if they can see their footmark on the lawn, then it's too damp. - even here on the downs over chalk, there are footmarks whereever I walk at the mo, - mind you will only take 2 or 3 days of mild dry conditions, and that may change.

• I cut my first lawn on Wed this week - Expect two more to join in over the next 2 weeks then 1 or so a week in sheltered areas until mid march, After mid march its usually full on with the mowing campaign for the rest of the year.

The gardens that are growing now tend to be walled gardens, so very sheltered, with a south facing aspect and in the case of the one I cut on Weds, it has good land drainage installed, and an 8ft wall round the whole garden, and its at about 10 degrees tilted to the south... Perfect conditions really!

• Warming and drying up nicely down South - in fact I cut my own lawn yesterday and if I can mow my lawn at least 30% of my clients lawns would be cutable.

Selective mowing will commence as from Monday but certainly no other mechanical operations for a few weeks at least.

• Just a very high cut at moment lot of lawns still to wet mind you we are in the Barnum south sandbanks dorset forecast getting colder again won't be cutting this week few lawns showing good growth just need a prolonged dr
  • Dry spell to dry things out could be a lot of disease about
  • I cut one last week and cut my own lawn this weekend hoping to cut a few of the dryer gardens this coming week

This reply was deleted.

Trade green waste centres

<!-- Google tag (gtag.js) --> <script async src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtag/js?id=G-WQ68WVXQ8K"></script> <script> window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'G-WQ68WVXQ8K'); </script>

LJN Sponsor

Advertising