About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

EGO power head motor kaput

Has anyone else had a problem with the motor on their EGO multi-tool head? Mine had started to self-destruct after 15 months of use. I'm the only one who uses it, so it's not working all day, every day.

The machine shop are going to claim it under warranty, so I shouldn't lose out, hopefully.

Downside of battery gear is there's not too much preventative maintenance that one can do, it just breaks one day and that's it!

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Well, the motor's just destroyed itself again. Almost exactly 15 months of use, same as before. I'm taking it back to the shop tomorrow, but I'll doubt I'll get it done under warranty again. Fortunately I had my Honda Verasatool onboard to complete the job. That engine has never missed a beat in 7 years of ownership, it's done all the big jobs the Ego wouldn't cope with too.

Come on Ego, pull your finger out and make a motor that actually lasts. Your selling the power head as a 'pro' machine, but it doesn't appear that it is.

• PRO

i've got the combi head too, it's three years old feels like it's really struggling these days. Often it just cuts out when strimming or sounds really laboured with hedge cutting. It's not helped by all the batteries beginning to fail on me all at once too.

I like the brand and where they're going, using their batteries now in other brands, but its hard to be confident in them.

• It's done well if it's three years old! It's a shame really, as I really like the product range. The only alternative brand with a competing set of tools is, of course, Stihl. But, as well as the cost increase, I actually don't like using the Stihl kit. There's nothing serious I don't like about it, it just doesn't feel 'right'.

I checked Ego's website last night and the multi-tool is indeed marketed as a professional-quality tool and comes with a 2 year professional-use guarantee and a 5 year domestic guarantee. I'll see what they say in the shop today, but I'll probably end up buying a new power head!

• I took my broken power head apart to diagnose what went wrong, turns out it was the bearings on the motor output shaft drying out and failing. Probably about 5p's worth off ball bearings! I may be able to replace them, but the bearing cap was destroyed, so I'd need to find a suitable replacement. To be honest, I'd like to have seen a better bearing setup in there, it is a very basic arrangement that is more suited to a bicycle hub than a high RPM electric motor.

Anyway, I wanted to say that if you take the motor out it gives you an opportunity to pack the gearbox (attached to motor, mine was bone dry) with grease and maybe try to get some into the motor bearings too. It may give your power head a new lease of life!

Dissassembly of the power head is very straightforward, I'd recommend discharging the large capacitor within, just to be on the safe side.

• PRO

I might look at my EGO power hea this weekend, it seems to be a lot louder recently. I've just had two batteries fail in quick succesion although luckily both covered by warranty not long ago having had another replaced. The hedge trimmer attachment gearbox bearings have also just destroyed themselves (again) so i'm going to have to try and get that repaired under warranty. The multitool is definitely not commercial grade. 

• The hedge trimmer head is a pain to grease and it's very susceptible to water ingress, so if you're cutting a wet hedge you'll need to grease -up more often. I've replaced two of the grease ports with grease nipples, but there are two that need greasing with a grease gun needle. There are four grease ports all together!

• Not a fan personally of multi tools of any brand but the 765 c.f.m. Ego blower is amazing. I still have my 580 c.f.m. and 650 c.f.m. previous models. Had no issues with the motors in those. Just bought another 7.5ah battery which was second hand but in good as new condition. The blowing power is noticeably better when using the larger capacity packs

This reply was deleted.

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

PRO Supplier

Agrovista Amenity is excited to announce that it will be continuing its partnership with national environmental charity The Tree Council, pledging to sponsor the planting of more than a thousand trees. The trees will be planted over the next…

Read more…