About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

Cost of laying turf?

Would anyone be able to give me the cost of laying turf per square metre?

A potential client has asked me regarding a rental property in Ilkley, West Yorkshire which needs 60 sq m of lawn replacing. They'd like it done before selling the property next month.

I understand that September would be an ideal time to lay. Comments re laying at this time of year  would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Melissa

 

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

  • Melissa this gets asked a lot on the forum. Have a look at the results at http://www.landscapejuicenetwork.com/forum/topic/search?q=turf+price

    Laying at this time of year is fine.

  • As a pointer I did a turfing job in Otley in October - Charged £11 per sqm, was a basic strip / rotavate level soil and lay.

    I understand the other 3 contractors to quote all asked for £14-£20perm - and I did think I was being cheap at the time, but as it Came with a Hedge removal + new Fence I kept the price down. It worked out well in the end as it made getting the man with digger in very cost effective (for hedge roots).

    I would say in your area that anything from £11 to £20 depending on how much soil leveling and moving is needed.

  • Also another quick point - Theres a good place near the roundabout to Menston (Knotford Knook I think it is) that sells turf, about 3 miles from you. Dont ever get the cheap 3-5£ stuff from anywhere though - pay for quality and make sure you client knows this, buying the cheap turf from anywhere always results in tears and weeds.

  • Thaks Dan for the link. I should have known to do a search first on the forum before posting!

    I've looked at some of the discussions and sifting through the banter seems like £15-£18 seems ball park figure. It's useful for me to understand what's involved so that I can help educate clients why costs are the way they are. Also useful for nightmare job of costing out projects. This seems to include:

    stripping existing turf with turf cutter

    turf @£2.50 per  m inc vat

    sharp sand / top soil

    waste removal

    labour.

    Assuming perennial weed treatment and drainage issues not included???

    Is this about right?
     Dan Frazer Gardening said:

    Melissa this gets asked a lot on the forum. Have a look at the results at http://www.landscapejuicenetwork.com/forum/topic/search?q=turf+price

    Laying at this time of year is fine.

  • Well hello David, nice to meet someone in my neck of the woods.

    Thanks for your costings - useful to know.

    I know Knotford Knook outside Otley - seen his topsoil options.  Are you saying his turf is good?

    I'm waiting to hear back from a landscaper I use occaaionally. Might be in touch if he can't do it. Thanks for your help. Good to know who's out there. Do you have website?

    Welcome to contact me directly with your qualifications and services offered and areas covered?


     David Cox said:

    Also another quick point - Theres a good place near the roundabout to Menston (Knotford Knook I think it is) that sells turf, about 3 miles from you. Dont ever get the cheap 3-5£ stuff from anywhere though - pay for quality and make sure you client knows this, buying the cheap turf from anywhere always results in tears and weeds.

  • I've never had a problem with anything from Knotford - Turf was lovely I intend to use them for firewood when I get my woodburner in - Friends who use it say it is always the driest around and a good varied mix of wood types.

    Im moving house at the moment, will be living just off the Otley road after mid march so Im not taking on any landscaping work for the time being. My website is www.candspaving.co.uk and www.candsgardens.co.uk - The later is currently offline and I will get it up when I get time.



    Melissa Morton said:

    Well hello David, nice to meet someone in my neck of the woods.

    Thanks for your costings - useful to know.

    I know Knotford Knook outside Otley - seen his topsoil options.  Are you saying his turf is good?

    I'm waiting to hear back from a landscaper I use occaaionally. Might be in touch if he can't do it. Thanks for your help. Good to know who's out there. Do you have website?

    Welcome to contact me directly with your qualifications and services offered and areas covered?


     David Cox said:

    Also another quick point - Theres a good place near the roundabout to Menston (Knotford Knook I think it is) that sells turf, about 3 miles from you. Dont ever get the cheap 3-5£ stuff from anywhere though - pay for quality and make sure you client knows this, buying the cheap turf from anywhere always results in tears and weeds.

  • Thanks David. Useful to know about wood from there. Just got stove installed in December.
     
    David Cox said:

    I've never had a problem with anything from Knotford - Turf was lovely I intend to use them for firewood when I get my woodburner in - Friends who use it say it is always the driest around and a good varied mix of wood types.

    Im moving house at the moment, will be living just off the Otley road after mid march so Im not taking on any landscaping work for the time being. My website is www.candspaving.co.uk and www.candsgardens.co.uk - The later is currently offline and I will get it up when I get time.

  • Sorry to bump an old post, but does anyone give any guarantees on laying turf? I'm quoting for someone now, and wondering if I should factor in some sort of warranty though my experience with various clients tell me not to, as if they neglect it, I'll be the one paying!!!

  • You can not guarantee turf unless you have control over maintenance. Two of three hot and sunny days soon after laying and it will be gone!

  • As colin says - Newly laid turf can be gone in a day if it dries out the first couple of weeks.
    I always insist on 4 weekly paid maintenance visits if im laying turf now, covers my back if it goes wrong. Also make sure the client signs a "watering" disclaimer, as its so easy at this time of year for it to dry out and go patchy.

This reply was deleted.

Industry Jobs

Experienced gardener

EXPERIENCED GARDENER Full-time or Self-employed – Company based in Borehamwood, Hertfordshire Salary up to £25k, or self-employed £11/hour starting hourly rate, dependent on experience   The Role: Working as part of a team completing soft and hard landscaping duties for clients. Duties can include: • Hedge cutting • Weeding • Planting • Pruning • Border

Head Gardener for Private Estate

The role of the head gardener is the overall maintenance of the gardens, lawns and grounds. When the opportunity arises, parts of the gardens might be redesigned and replanted. The gardens form an essential and much loved part of a private estate. Main Responsibilities: Full management of 2 part-time assistants, including day-to-day supervision and working

Self Employed Gardeners

Grasstex are currently seeking to engage the services of local (West Sussex / South Surrey) gardeners. If you are a new start up looking for more work, or an existing business with the odd spare day to fill, we may have something for you. We have various types of work available to match your skills.

Gardener

Gardener required I run an established garden maintenance and soft landscaping business based in North London. I have a record of working in the industry and now work with fellow colleagues on domestic gardens. I’ve spent many years studying and training at Capel Manor. I’m looking to grow my business by taking on additional help

Trade green waste centres

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

PRO Supplier

Nigel Mortimore, Head Groundsman at Topsham Rugby Football Club, is a strong believer in first impressions – and his SISIS Quadraplay is helping him to create a pitch that opposition teams will long remember.   

A retired Physical Education…

Read more…