About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

Replies

• Hayter 48 or Honda 476. Just bought another Honda 426 1 year old for £300

• If you do a search there's a lot of info on all the brands.

You need to look at two things. Firstly, any mower under £500 will be domestic. That means a 30-day warranty, and there's a reason for that. They just aren't up to loading in and out, and even 10 lawns a week is ten times what they are built for.

If you look at used pro-spec machines, then you might pick up a bargain. But, you need to think about why any professional outfit would sell a mower that's in good order, with years of life left in it? Chances are that they know there's bills looming, and are moving it on and buying a new machine for a reason.

That's all very negative, now the second point!

Who are you going to use to maintain and repair the mower? Finding a local business and building that relationship is more important than any initial cost IMO. You might save 10% by buying online, but when you need a repair and they quote three weeks, you'll regret it. Buy what he recommends, and prefers to work on.

If you stretch the budget a bit you'll get a new pro-spec Hayter 48 for under £800. If you need a larger mower the Masports use the Honda pro engine for about that price, or the Mountfield SP555 roller is a left-field option. Faster than anything I've used, 21" alloy-deck, Honda pro engine, it's worth a look.

• i agree, with mowers used for professional use they are already done in after a year. Why would anybody sell a professional mower in good working order. Answer, so they can buy a new one.

• PRO
    Thanks for the response. I could stretch and buy a new honda model just wondering if it's worth the extra initial cost.
    I use a honda izy 18 at the moment.( never let me down starts first pull) and I am looking for something bigger as over the last couple of years my client base has changed somewhat.
    Nearest honda dealer is 20 miles away or thereabouts. Have got stihl and husqvarna dealer nearby. Understand comment regarding service.
    As far as size is concerned I want a bigger machine for larger gardens and keep with the izy for small/awkward gardens. Any more comments gratefully recieved.

• Daniel Goree said:

i agree, with mowers used for professional use they are already done in after a year. Why would anybody sell a professional mower in good working order. Answer, so they can buy a new one.

It's come up before, there are reasons to sell cheap, such as failed businesses. I bought a Kaaz-type for half price (£550) with only a few hours use, typical large house where the guy bought the most expensive, then realised he'd prefer to sit by the pool whilst a gardener charged him £15 to cut the lawn!

A lot of contractors buy new every March, and sell at the end of the season. They get a good price for a machine under a year old and still warranted, but have new mowers every year so less failures of the little things. Chances are they're servicable, but could also be up for £400 of gearbox and roller repairs...

One other thing to add, you need a back-up mower. Doesn't need to be a roller machine, just something you can drive home and grab when the inevitable break-down happens. £100 or so will get you a 19" Etesia, that will be on it's last legs, but with years of life as a reserve machine.
  • PRO
    One other thing to add, you need a back-up mower. Doesn't need to be a roller machine, just something you can drive home and grab when the inevitable break-down happens. £100 or so will get you a 19" Etesia, that will be on it's last legs, but with years of life as a reserve machine.

That's one reason I'm looking as to have a new mower and keep the izy as a standby and for use on the small lawns where space around edges building access is a problem.
    Thanks for reply Richard.
    What are the etesia rollers like?
    Obviously I just want one that goes when I pull the rope!
  • PRO

Etesia don't make roller mowers, he just means as a backup.

• PRO
    Been looking at the Hondas can't seem to see the differnce between the 426 and 476?
    Never mind just seen it size (sorry I'm a bit thick)
    Did not realise they did not make roller mowers see above !
  • Hi Richard,

Etesia don't do a roller, which is a shame. It would probably be £2K though. Their machines are great, and a smokey old ex-council one for £100 is a great back-up mower.

Don't get hung up on Hondas. The engines are the best out there, but plenty of other machines use them. The GXV 160 is unbreakable and fuel-efficient, so a machine with one fitted could save you money over the years.

The things that let cheaper machines down are the smaller items. It's easy to cut costs by fitting cheaper wheels, cables, levers etc., but one breakage could lose you a day's money. Two or three in a year, and you're out of pocket the price difference of a pro mower, and you've lost reputation as you're leaving sites with a breakdown.

• PRO
    Just looking at Hondas as my izy has never let me down ( touch wood)
    Days and reputation lost is another good point. Look like I'm going to have to smash the piggy bank!
    Don't mind if it will last. Just want to pick a good un
This reply was deleted.

Trade green waste centres

<!-- Google tag (gtag.js) --> <script async src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtag/js?id=G-WQ68WVXQ8K"></script> <script> window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'G-WQ68WVXQ8K'); </script>

LJN Sponsor

Advertising