About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

PRO

Research has concluded that:

• A local authority ban on common weed killers used in the professional amenity and garden sectors which contain glyphosate would add £228 million to council tax bills each year
  • This has been calculated as a cost equivalent to current funding for 11,438 adult social care workers
  • The ban could force some UK councils to spend considerable sums in capital outlays to replace conventional spraying systems with alternative approaches

New economic figures unveiled today reveal the cost to the local taxpayer of banning common weed killers to keep pavements, parks and public places weed free.

The figures come at a time when no less than 30 local authorities are being lobbied by some in their communities to ban the same weed killers that are used in amenity areas and gardens throughout the UK.

The research shows that a ban on weed killers containing glyphosate would add £228 million to the UK’s council tax bill each year.

The additional tax requirements for funding the alternatives would require an increase in the average household council tax bill of £7.80 – half the band D rate increase in 2015/16.

Weed killers are used by local authorities for management of public spaces, including pavements, parks, schools and local authority play areas. The non-chemical alternatives to treating roads and pavements for weeds have a place in an integrated approach to weed management but, as extensive research has shown, cannot currently compete with weed killers in normal day to day operations on economic or effectiveness grounds.

Amenity Forum Chairman, Professor John Moverley OBE, commented: “At a time when Local Authorities are faced with acute budget pressures, it is important that decisions are based upon science and evidence. Nobody working in the professional amenity sector would wish to do anything to endanger public health and safety and always makes use of all options available. Any weed killer coming to market undertakes rigorous testing before it is released and during its use.

Weed killers used in the amenity sector have been proven time and time again to be safe – no less than 28 independent global regulators and thousands of scientific studies over 40 years back this up. They are used across the diverse and important amenity sector as part of an integrated approach, keeping our railways running, maintaining our world class sports surfaces, for woodlands and much more.

This research has just highlighted the costs of keeping pavements weed free. The total amenity cost would be substantially more.

As the voluntary initiative for the sector, we seek to provide an independent voice promoting best practice in all aspects of weed and pest management. We recognize concerns can arise but, in dealing with them, we need a rational debate based upon science and facts. The management of weeds and pests in amenity impacts upon every UK citizen’’ - ENDS

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• PRO
    My house backs onto a council owned park, in recent weeks I have seen several of my neighbours spraying the perimeter of the park to stop weeds spreading into their gardens and to control the weeds on the park behind their own homes; also I have seen neighbours spot spraying weeds on the public path in front of their homes.

So although the councils may stop using certain weed killers they may still end up being used in public areas and on highways owned by the councils by local residents.

It's better that these products are used by trained people in an appropriate manner than allowing a spray it yourself culture to develop.

Andy
  • PRO
    I'm watching the TV show Lewis and so far I have seen the Resolva advert three times urging people to kill the weeds in their block paving driveways.

Most of them will do the footpath in front of their home at the same time if the truth is told.

Andy
  • Personally I think glyphosate is over used. Weed control could in parts be carried out by those being served community service or prisoners in D category prisons. Just a thought.
    • PRO

I've always believed a total ban on non-licensed people having access to or using such chemicals. Have them removed from DIY & garden centres for a start and we would have only people qualified and understand the issues applying pesticides.

Go look at recent threads (ie buying pesticides on Amazon) and read the comments section. Frightening.

Clearly much Fake News around, much generated by the Greens and Snowflakes, who have an agenda that does not match their supposed aims.

When we have farmers unable to generate sufficient food or when your Council tax goes up as people complain about the state of open green spaces, I'll sit back, pull a beer, have a laugh and say "I told you so"

• PRO
        Source for this being generated by the greens?! I agree a ridiculous amount of hype has been generated about the dangers of glyphosate but it seems to me a lot comes out of the states. Yours sincerely Green voter.
  • £7.80 bill each to stop unpleasant areas of brown weedkilles grass along verges. I think that is a good price just to stop that.
  • PRO
    The EU have cleared the product for continued use, but of course with Brexit the UK needs to set up its own testing and regulatory body so the EU ruling isn't a long term decision as far as we are concerned.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/mar/15/no-cancer-risk-...

Andy
    Glyphosate weedkiller, previously linked to cancer, judged safe by EU watchdog
    Chemical used in the best-selling Roundup herbicide is cleared for public use following an EU licensing battle due to potential health risks
  • Strangely, my local council in Bedfordshire, spray all round every piece of "street furniture"(as they like to call it) leaving large dead areas round everything....even flat manhole covers......looks terrible.  The odd thing is they still have someone going round with a strimmer so can't see the point.

• PRO

Yes, some local authority staff need to exercise more care and/or have their work monitored.

This reply was deleted.

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

PRO

How Do You Qualify A Sales Lead?

I don't know about you, but our phones and emails are starting to get busy with enquiries. I've learned over the years that it's all too easy to answer the phone, arrange a consultation and then spend a couple of hours with a prospective client…

Read more…
Comments: 0