About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

What to do off-season?

Working in the garden maintenance side of horticulture, concentrating on domestic gardens, I have quite a lengthy off-season from about mid-December to about mid/late-February. I often only have bitty jobs from late November onwards as much of the winter preparation is done and only little bits of tidying up remain. What have your experiences been of working through this time of year and what do you do to keep busy / keep income coming in? Are there any tricks that I'm missing?

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Manuring all beds

Powerwashing

I know its the wrong time but i do all my scarifying and top dressing of lawns.

Clean gutters.

All my prunning

Treat all fences

Hope this helps u it always gets me and my team through the bleak times.
  • Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I suspect I'm a victim of my own success as most of that sort of work has usually been finished by mid-November. I only have about 4 main clients (with large gardens that can justify a full day each week throughout the main Spring and Autumn seasons) so it's not really worth my while driving 20 miles only to work for half an hour.
  • Each year it feels like winter is getting shorter and shorter. Traditionally the garden would be cut back, dead-headed, "put to sleep" by christmas, but the growing season seems to stretch on so long that I now stagger all that work into the new year. e.g leaving seed heads on for as long as is attractive seems more acceptable now (especially for the wildlife). The new year is a good time to do those landscaping jobs sized up during the summer - bigger and better beds etc, planting trees, mulching, preparing any kitchen garden areas. Sounds like more gardens might be an idea - fewer hours in more gardens; leaving certain jobs that can be done during winter (like your tax return!)
  • PRO
    I always find the winter to be a great change to the summer routine maintenance. Martin sums it up perfectly with his list.

I also find that the winter is a great time to re-charge the batteries. Working up to 100 hours every week cannot be sustained for ever so a seven hour on site day was very relaxing.

I can almost imagine it now - a clear December day with a promised frost through the night and the popping and crackling of the bonfire as the ends are thrown in for the night.
  • PRO
    I wonder how it is now with the spring growth surge. How many of you are finding time for recreation and rest?
  • What's "recreation and rest"?!?!?!
    No let up just gets busier and busier. Didn't finish the last client on Friday until 8:30PM and I always try to get an early finish on a Friday :-(
  • This afternoon my wife and I are going to buy some paint for the hallway then going for a walk up the river and tomorrow we are having friends round for a bbq!! Fantastic!!

off-season for me includes tree-work, leaves, leaves, more leaves, garden projects for larger customers, etc....

Philip Voice said:
    I wonder how it is now with the spring growth surge. How many of you are finding time for recreation and rest?
  • I must admit I'm still as busy as ever and have just taken on another garden over in Huddersfield - probably 1/2 acre. Thankfully one of my gardens is all in order now and there's only light weeding and deadheading to do. With the Morris season being in full swing I'm even more exhausted than ever! Looking forward to a week off for my birthday in July though...
This reply was deleted.

Trade green waste centres

<!-- Google tag (gtag.js) --> <script async src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtag/js?id=G-WQ68WVXQ8K"></script> <script> window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'G-WQ68WVXQ8K'); </script>

LJN Sponsor

Advertising