About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

Help - Just picked up my first Junior school, and nothing like a bit of notice, They want a 400m track done by next wednesday. Yes i know i haven't done this before, Cross this bridge when i come to it. 

Now nice people who can help me out or push me in the right direction. 

Really need some basic help or guidelines pretty urgently. 

Thanks you 

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• PRO
    Never done it but have a look at this seems to have some directions and a picture

https://www.dsr.wa.gov.au/support-and-advice/facility-management/de...
    Athletics track events
    Dimensions for athletics track events
  • is it a temporary track on grass or is it permanent you will need to get hold of a line marker (wheeled or spray ) and a long tape Richard has given you a link to the measurements but I think it could take a couple of days to set it out if they want a precise job also along piece of string 

• Temporary track on grass, I've borrowed a track marker for this one, but will be purchasing one for future use, as they want it down v quick! Nothing like a little notice.

I have to purchase the paint, I've been sent another PDF doc which seems logical but should take a little time. I need to get the accessories quickly today though!!! 100m rule, lots of nylon or poly... line. White pegs etc etc. Nervous yes, confident - lets see!!!'
  • I've marked out loads of those in my days with the council.......... there'll be lots of plans on the internet............. will take you a few hours for the initial mark.You'll need a couple of you, a marker and ball of string and a long measuring tape. Pretty straightforward............... the good thing is its a junior school so if you happen to be a few metres out, world records won't be affected :)

• I do line marking and i hate it.It's a nightmare when its something you're not proficient at. You just have to slug it out but expect to take way longer than someone who knows what they are doing.

I'm getting up at 5am tomorrow morning (Saturday) to go and over mark a school running track and rounders pitches before the field gets rented out to a football school who start about 9.00am. 

• It's easy, look at the diagram carefully. Once you know where it's going, it's like a dot to dot. Get a string down first for one end the correct width, find the middle put a pin in, create your first arc, get your other string in the other end the correct distance each side and repeat the arc, then get your straights in and then each lane outwards from then on. Then just have fun with the staggered starts for the relays etc. It looks baffling at first but it will come to you and you'll wonder what all the fuss is about. Couple of tips I use to use, double check all measurements, scratch in arcs at intervals with a pin tied to a string before you mark out permanent. They may use booms now but i use to use a single line marker, perhaps my way went out with the arc....good luck
  • All is good, well happy with my first results 
    3314814781?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• PRO
      That looks great but isn't the 100m sprint section meant to be straight....;-)
      • If it is my 65m straight isn't!!! It's a Junior school couldn't fit a 400m track...ps thought I uploaded all 4 pictures
  • Andrew that look good what medium did you use for the lines and how long did it take you to do 

This reply was deleted.

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

PRO Supplier

Agrovista Amenity is excited to announce that it will be continuing its partnership with national environmental charity The Tree Council, pledging to sponsor the planting of more than a thousand trees. The trees will be planted over the next…

Read more…