About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

Stihl FS 460 C Incorrect Thread - Help!

Made a silly mistake on the guard thread of my FS 460. Cross threaded and re-tapped. Tapped it at M6 - It should have been M5. Can anyone suggest how I could reduce it back to M5 - If this is in fact possible. If it is not possible, I will have to buy a complete new gearbox at about £180!!!!! An expensive mistake. Thanks.

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• PRO

If I've understood you correctly a "helicoil" might save you.

https://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nails-fixings/thread-repair/cat12...

• Thanks for the reply and link, Darren. Sadly the helicoil isn't an option. For an M5 it comes with a 5.2 drill bit. The M6 is 6mm wide - Too big. I was hoping there might be another solution, that I'm not aware of.

• PRO

If it's just the grease point(?) just put an M6 bolt in it. Just make sure it's short enough

• PRO

Just re read it guard thread..... still not sure why an m6 bolt won't work though

• wondered that myself........................ what exactly is the "guard thread"?  I thougt there were 4 bolts holding the guard to the head if it's what I think you're referring to?  On Ebay,  you can pick up a new gearbox for about £25............ made in china but could well be the same factory that Stihl use!! 

• PRO

I have used metal putty aka steel stick with great results, fill the hole, redrill and then tap to correct size.

• I did think about using an M6 bolt. The issue is that dependent upon the strimmer head used for example line or balde, will depend on the type of guard used. Each head has its own guard. The guards each contain three bolts that do not come out. Therefore, to put an M6 in would require each guard to be equipped with an M6 bolt. This would mean cutting the old bolt out.  don't particularly want to go down this route. There are 3 bolts holding the head. 2 at thr front and 1 at the back, creating a triangular effect. It is the one at the back that is the M6. I tightened the guard up using the 2 at the front and it appears very secure.

As for the metal putty, that sounds like a good idea and one that I will investiagte further.

• Seems strange............ my FS130 has the same guard whether using a blade of a line.......... never  have to switch anything over. 

• The FS 460 has different guards based on type of head used. I don't know if it is anything to do with the power of the machine. One blade I use is similar to a circular saw blade. This will demoloish a small sapling. The guard construction is completely different to the line guard. 

Dave - I have tried the metal putty and I think this will be successful. Thanks for the suggestion.

• PRO

Stihl use different guards as standard depending on whether it's a strimmer head or a metal blade. 

The strimmer head guard is larger, has a line cutter and sits further away from head. The metal blade guard is smaller in profile and sits closer to diameter of blade.

Many default to the strimmer guard for both types rather than constantly changing over. 

This reply was deleted.

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

PRO Supplier

Agrovista Amenity is excited to announce that it will be continuing its partnership with national environmental charity The Tree Council, pledging to sponsor the planting of more than a thousand trees. The trees will be planted over the next…

Read more…