About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

Lawnflite 448SJR

Evening all.

Anybody have any experience with this particular Subaru powered Lawnflite? Can't find any previous discussion on it.

I'm looking for a good quality 19" fan assisted mower that I can fit a high lift blade to. Not owned a Lawnflite before, but do remember in the past hearing about their gearboxes or their drive breaking after a relatively short time and they only have a 12 month warranty.

Can pick one of these up for just under £900.

Or any other suggestions? I don't want another Weibang as had one for 2.5 years and got tired of the weight at around 65Kg wheras this is closer to 50Kg. Also this price of around £900 is really the max that i'd like to spend.

Best wishes to all.

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• PRO

We paid around £600  (thought the price was excellent and worth a punt) for ours (19" Lawnflite with Subaru Engine) and it lasted around a season. Difficult to start with the autochoke and the drive was incredibly slow. We have now reverted back to Etesia Pro46's and Honda Pro's (21").

• Thanks for that Nick. That's the second bad report i've had about them so likely to give it a miss. Thanks.

• I had a Kaaz 21" roller. I got a hi lift from L&S for it, and collection was superb... had two of these machines over 4-5 years. BUT I wouldn't buy another. Drive/shaft/gearbox problems cost a fortune, after just a year they started. 

I agree, the Weibang roller is not only a bit heavier, it is weighted far more heavily towards the rear and lifting the hendles to get the mower over bumps, over stops in the van onto ramps etc, is a LOT harder than the Kaaz was. Takes it's toll on the back after 12-15 lawns in a day.

There's no great roller mower out there just now. My plan may have to be budget for 1 year from a mower and just whack it on gumtree for whatever you can make back. No servicing costs that way and a new mower each spring. Even if it's a slightly lower budget and less pro mower, it should be alright. 

Using a Weibang for 3 years and a £200 service every year would cost £600/year for the machine life anyway, 

• I've got the older model with kawasaki engine, bought 2nd hand. Been very pleased, decent collection and once sped up a decent speed for me. Nothing like a sped up 21" honda hrd though. 

A customer has a brand new wheeled version with suburu engine. Wouldn't have said difficult to start but does take a few pulls and feels 'lumpy' to begin with. Just something different to get used to. Yes slow but very easy to speed up the engine to a decent speed, and in my opinion fantastic collection even in longish wet grass.

I do whole garden management, not just lawn care so not as heavy a user as some so wasn't too fussed about the gearbox concerns. 

For an alternative been hearing good things about the stiga / Mountfield higher end machines. Not seen one in the flesh though. 

• PRO

PGM  I know an old thread but did you get one with the Subaru engine in the end? Wondered how you got on as my local dealer has one for sale and I need a new mower 

• No sorry, didn't get one. In the end we went for a Hayter 41pro and then a STihl 545VR for the wet.

This reply was deleted.

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

PRO Supplier

Agrovista Amenity is excited to announce that it will be continuing its partnership with national environmental charity The Tree Council, pledging to sponsor the planting of more than a thousand trees. The trees will be planted over the next…

Read more…