About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

JST - 802 Long Handle Picked Garden Spade

Hi All,

As most of you are all aware, we at J S Country Tools Ltd specialize in mainly long handle garden tools. As we continue to try and understand what makes our tools popular, we like to ask our customers feedback on likes or even dislikes of products and customer services. As the majority of our customers are professional landscapers / LJN Members I have created this thread with hope of quality feedback.

Below I have linked our most popular spade, our JST - 802 Long Handle Picked Garden spade priced at a competitive £27.00 including VAT with five year guarantee on all metal parts.

http://www.jscountrytools.co.uk/products/jst-802-forged-steel-long-handle-picked-garden-spade

This particular spade has had five star reviews on our web site and far outstrips sales of our JST - 801 Long Handle Straight Garden Spade also priced at £27.00 Including VAT with five year guarantee on all metal parts.

http://www.jscountrytools.co.uk/products/jst-801-forged-steel-long-handle-straight-garden-spade

I wanted to ask the community what their preference is on a garden spade and also if you guy's have ever used a picked spade or if you have one.

We value our customers opinions on the tools we supply, so am looking forward to reading your thoughts. You can link the reviews via the web site if interested

Kind Regards

J S Tools

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I had never seen a "picked spade" before actually in use outside of the armed forces, and that was many years ago. I didn't even know what it was called until I visited your web site.

We've all seen them in the old films, especially black and white ones: bank robberies, railroads (US rather than English for a US film phenomenon) and more, often without a handle at the top of the shaft. Where had they gone? Why? I could only assume they weren't as good as what was on offer more recently.

So having bought one of yours, Simon, I have found it useful, versatile, ergonomic, a joy to work with and much more leverage and strength than anything I have used before.

Well done on reintroducing it. Even more so for making it popular again, at least within our own microcosm of pro landscapers and gardeners.

• I have to agree with Mike. Only ever seen them on films or the odd Irish guy using one!
    Might have to consider getting one!

Apparently they are quite popular in the US without the D handle

• I plan to hit Netflix this weekend looking for as discussed some vintage picked spades.

The shape of the spade makes sense to me. Originally we thought the product would suit fencing contractors, due to its style and shape. But the Picked Spade seems to be more of an all rounder. Again it sort of makes sense, it's a nice weight and with the bladed edge it has multi usage. From cutting through Root systems to digging heavier clay based soils. Also with slightly longer metal shaft it is very durable.
  • Ordered on of these today as I am constantly breaking wooden shafted spades and was keen to give it a try. Went through the whole payment process, paid via paypal, all good, then get an email later from your sales department to say that delivery to Northern Ireland will cost more. Could this not have been picked up at checkout?

• PRO

Having bought some good stuff from JS, I've previously read the website :

""We always aim to meet expectations through customer services and our dedication to customer satisfaction. Being based in the South of England, we are well placed to distribute our products throughout the United Kingdom mainland, however we would be pleased to prepare on request, a quotation to supply products outside the UK. ""

(italics mine, which implies, to me, there would be extra costs off the mainland :-)

Philip Blair said:

Ordered on of these today as I am constantly breaking wooden shafted spades and was keen to give it a try. Went through the whole payment process, paid via paypal, all good, then get an email later from your sales department to say that delivery to Northern Ireland will cost more. Could this not have been picked up at checkout?

• I have an "Irish Shovel" which I use for shovelling gravel from bulk bags and other loose soils. It is great but I do feel that I should be burying a body in the Arizona dessert when I use it.

3314713746?profile=original

• PRO

Somehow think those last three posts should be "linked"  laugh.gif

• Hi Philip, firstly please accept my apology for the confusion with the order.

We at J S Country Tools only supply within the UK mainland, as outlined as above in the about us section of our web site. We also clearly state that we only supply to the UK mainland at point of checkout and to please call us for a quotation.

As the order was processed without calling our sales desk for a quotation to supply outside of the mainland, we have not captured your payment. I have since had a UPS quote to supply into Northern Ireland at £22 plus VAT.

As this is an expensive delivery, I will await conformation from you that you would like to cancel your payment. I will then be happy to cancel the process. (We have not at at any stage taken money from your bank account)

J S Country Tools Limited take our customer services very seriously hence why we contacted you to inform you that you had possibly missed our notification that we cannot deliver to Northern Island on our standard UK charge.

Kind Regards

Admin
  • Yea, saw that, but I assumed in this technological age when they were able to pick up my address automatically from my paypal account that the relevant charges could have been applied at that stage. I am used to paying extra for delivery to here but most sites do it automatically.

Gary RK said:

Having bought some good stuff from JS, I've previously read the website : "

""We always aim to meet expectations through customer services and our dedication to customer satisfaction. Being based in the South of England, we are well placed to distribute our products throughout the United Kingdom mainland, however we would be pleased to prepare on request, a quotation to supply products outside the UK. ""

(italics mine, which implies, to me, there would be extra costs off the mainland :-)

Philip Blair said:

Ordered on of these today as I am constantly breaking wooden shafted spades and was keen to give it a try. Went through the whole payment process, paid via paypal, all good, then get an email later from your sales department to say that delivery to Northern Ireland will cost more. Could this not have been picked up at checkout?

• PRO
    Ah, Assumptions are the Mother of all **** Ups. :-)

Philip Blair said:
    Yea, saw that, but I assumed in this technological age when they were able to pick up my address automatically from my paypal account that the relevant charges could have been applied at that stage. I am used to paying extra for delivery to here but most sites do it automatically.

Gary RK said:

Having bought some good stuff from JS, I've previously read the website : "

Philip Blair said:

This reply was deleted.

Trade green waste centres

<!-- Google tag (gtag.js) --> <script async src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtag/js?id=G-WQ68WVXQ8K"></script> <script> window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'G-WQ68WVXQ8K'); </script>

LJN Sponsor

Advertising