About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

Honda 566 Pro roller problems

Hi I'm having a issue with my 536. It's like there is no traction on the roller. Over a hard surface it's ok. When on grass the roller engages but spins on the grass. I need to push it to move it. There is also a clicking noise coming from it when it's not running and I'm pushing it to the van etc. It's had new bearings.

Any ideas?it's almost like a tension spring that applies pressure to the roller to make it grip on the surface is stretched. Is this possible? 

Thanks

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• it could be the drive chain has come off at one end, the clicking could be the chain catching the side of the sprocket 

• It appears to have a similar gearbox to my Kaaz mower.   If so, it shouldn't be clicking when you're pushing it.   Are both "halves" of the roller spinning or just one side?  What bearings were replaced? 

• Seized bearing, faulty drive chain, knackered gearbox could be any of these

• PRO

I have run these for years and repaired many - and I'm really struggling to understand the fault, there is no tension spring or anything like that in there. Only thing it could be is that the axle centre casing is out of alignment. Had a few that needed a well placed smack with a hammer to lightly bend the gearbox cover plate up.

If it clicks when pushing - with the drive lever in the OFF postion, the dog clutch inside is set up wrong and/or the cable is massively overtensioned.

Don't even push the drive lever into engage and push the machine (engine off) as it will destroy the internal dog clutch very very quickly as they really aren't designed to be 'slipped' like that.

• If you can actually see the roller spinning then it is working ok! I've always found the 536 to lack a bit of grip, they're hefty beasts and the smooth metal roller doesn't help. 
    Is the front height adjusted correctly? (It should be adjusted so it matches the rear). Also, check that the roller is sitting level on a level surface.

Are both the short and long roller spinning?

• PRO

The drive gearbox needs replacing 

minr cost about £450'lastvyear and great eversince

• These gearboxes can be mended for much cheaper than that.   The actual parts you usually need...... the pinion set ,clutch dog and gasket............. are under £100.  Couple of hours work if you're reasonable at mechanics.... there's actualy a Youtube video on how to do it.  If both the rollers are turning ok, the gearbox can'tbe the problem.    

This reply was deleted.

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

PRO

How Do You Qualify A Sales Lead?

I don't know about you, but our phones and emails are starting to get busy with enquiries. I've learned over the years that it's all too easy to answer the phone, arrange a consultation and then spend a couple of hours with a prospective client…

Read more…
Comments: 0