About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

Replies

• PRO Supplier
    I was thinking of buying a Etesia Hydro 124D High lift last year, several issues put me off. First of all the cost, secondly, I never think the larger Etesia ride ons look particularly strong, especially for contracting, there are always unforeseen obstacles. Thirdly, I don't like the thought of A Lombardini engine on a sit on mower, I have had several machines with Lombardini engines on, they are certainly economical. The engine on the Etesia is water cooled, which I am sure makes the machine quieter.

I ended up buying an Iseki SXG22 High Lift, with a 54" deck, which was about half the price of the Etesia, you can see my review on the Iseki; http://tinyurl.com/ylc99nq I have also added a couple of reviews on a couple of Etesia ride ons, which I have owned.
  • PRO
    Hi Roy,

Thanks for the feedback. I will take a look at the Iseki (i've seen those in Ernest Doe's I think...). It all helps towards making a decision.

We a couple of small Etesia Ride-on's (with Kawasaki V twin petrol engines) that work well for us. However, we now need something more productive for a couple of newish sites.

How do you use the hi-lifts ? Do you take a low loader truck and trailer and empty into trailer or have a found a way to empty into builders bags?

Our spec say we have to remove from site, although I'm trying to negotiate a hidden area on site.

Thanks, G.

Roy Bretton said:
    I was thinking of buying a Etesia Hydro 124D High lift last year, several issues put me off. First of all the cost, secondly, I never think the larger Etesia ride ons look particularly strong, especially for contracting, there are always unforeseen obstacles. Thirdly, I don't like the thought of A Lombardini engine on a sit on mower, I have had several machines with Lombardini engines on, they are certainly economical. The engine on the Etesia is water cooled, which I am sure makes the machine quieter.

I ended up buying an Iseki SXG22 High Lift, with a 54" deck, which was about half the price of the Etesia, you can see my review on the Iseki; http://tinyurl.com/ylc99nq I have also added a couple of reviews on a couple of Etesia ride ons, which I have owned.
  • PRO Supplier

Ernest Doe are Iseki agents, I actually brought my Iseki from Grasshopper Horticulture. Which Etesias do you use? I originally had a Bahia and then a Hydro 80, which more or less replaced a couple of Hayter Harriers. The hydro 80 turned out to be a very reliable machine. My biggest reason for buying the Etesia was for there ability to collect wet grass, although on the later models the blade lifters were smaller, creating less air. Incidentally, I always used to put the blades in the vice and bend the lifters up a little, so as to create a better airflow.
    The Iseki has a movable agitation plate in the collecting system which helps to keep the chute clear, which on normal length grass works well.

All the contracts that we had, we were able to leave the grass on site, If you can I would try and leave the clippings on site, otherwise it can become very time consuming and costly. There is enough height to load into something like a transit tipper or Ifor Williams trailer, just make sure you are downwind when you tip! I help this is helpful.
  • PRO Supplier
    Roy Bretton said:

Ernest Doe are Iseki agents, I actually brought my Iseki from Grasshopper Horticulture. Which Etesias do you use? I originally had a Bahia and then a Hydro 80, which more or less replaced a couple of Hayter Harriers. The hydro 80 turned out to be a very reliable machine. My biggest reason for buying the Etesia was for there ability to collect wet grass, although on the later models the blade lifters were smaller, creating less air. Incidentally, I always used to put the blades in the vice and bend the lifters up a little, so as to create a better airflow.
    The Iseki has a movable agitation plate in the collecting system which helps to keep the chute clear, which on normal length grass works well.

All the contracts that we had, we were able to leave the grass on site, If you can I would try and leave the clippings on site, otherwise it can become very time consuming and costly. There is enough height to load into something like a transit tipper or Ifor Williams trailer, just make sure you are downwind when you tip! I help this is helpful.
  • PRO
    Roy, thank you very much.

Comments such as yours are worth so much. I can get a brochure and look at pictures, I can talk to a salesman, but nothing beats discussing requirements with someone in a similar position.

For walk-behinds we have phased out Hayters (except for our much loved 56's) and replaced with 4 Etesia Pro48's (honda engines, variable speed). For rollers we gone lawnflite/Danarm & Kaaz and are pleased with them, along with specialality mowers (ATM's etc)

We also have a Bahia & Hydro80. Both good and not suffered any major problems on Bahia.

Re: blades - we go looking for the aftemarket hi-lift blades and make sure we reuse the old ones as much as poss. I guess they're reducing the blade lifters in an attempt to pass noise tests...just a shame.

Point taken on the cuttings. They become a burden, especially in damp weather and we do try to dump on site, but we have a couple of very new ultra modern office parks where there is no 'hiding' stuff!
  • PRO Supplier
    I think Etesia and Iseki do a multching mower, I know the multching kit I had for the Hydro 80 wasn't very good, although techniques have probably improved since then. Perhaps you ought to have a demo.
  • PRO
    Roy,

where did you get the rollers for the Etesia ride-on from ?
  • PRO Supplier
    They were fitted by the dealer in Ingatestone, Essex, although they are made by an engineering company. I am not sure where, but if you want me to find out I can.

The roller leaves a reasonable finish, (see photograph)

not quite as good as the Harrier, but definitely worth having. Just be aware that the roller is quite low in transport mode, so the machine stands a bigger chance of grounding.
  • PRO
    If you get the chance I'd appreciate it - but no rush.

we looked at some add on rollers from the US, in fact we bought one for a Hayter Ranger 53 Pro.

Attaches to handle support braces. Fill the roller with kiln dried sand or lead shot etc. Worked well.
  • PRO Supplier
    I have spoken to the company and they are going to email me soon, maybe tomorrow though.
This reply was deleted.

Trade green waste centres

<!-- Google tag (gtag.js) --> <script async src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtag/js?id=G-WQ68WVXQ8K"></script> <script> window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'G-WQ68WVXQ8K'); </script>

LJN Sponsor

Advertising