About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

Do I need a spraying licence?

just wondered, if I go to B&Q and buy Roundup, then use it to spray a car park and get paid, do I need a spraying licence?

Seems bizarre that you can buy professional chemicals without a certificate



You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –


  • PRO
  • PRO

    Agree, absolutely the simple fact you are applying pesticides as a commercial concern......and in answer to your comment - what you are buying at B&Q is not a "professional" product.

    Read the Stat. Use label..It will say for Home/Garden Use only, ie : "For use only as a home garden weedkiller on unwanted vegetation and areas not intended to bear vegetation."

    If used outside the MAPP terms technically you can be prosecuted....:-(

    Please, please do not apply pesticides commercially if you are not trained and qualified - for all our sakes :-)

    Finally, do search the Forum as you will find a lot of information about spraying, pesticides, training and advice.

  • i was lead to believe that everyone needed to have pa1 to apply chemicals even on your own  ground i had my since it first came out

    • A PA1 and a PA6A licence is requiered for the use of pestisides and the handling, a PA1 is not a recognised Certificate of compedance under the control of pestisides regulations 1986

  • PRO

    No, if you buy 'domestic' products in garden centres etc and you apply ONLY in your own garden/home you do not need a PA1, otherwise most garden centre customers would be techincally criminals ;-).

    If you buy professional products, then technically yes......

    This topic has been the subject of many posts on LJN.

    The answer is simple - If you buy and apply pesticides as commercial enterprise ( and presumably charge ) you need to be trained & licensed.


    If you're born before 1964, you can claim 'Grandfathers rights' although you still need some training

  • PRO

    " If a person applies pesticides - whether that be as a spray or solid form - then they are required to hold a certificate of competence."

  • PRO
    Grandad rights or not, you still CANT use domestic products commercially.

    Sue/Bayleaf's Traditional said:


    If you're born before 1964, you can claim 'Grandfathers rights' although you still need some training

  • So why is it that there are over 3000 users working under 'Grandfather rights'? I quote ..........

    "There are approximately 3000 sole operators on farms with arable crops who are working under grandfather rights".

    Brian said:

    Grandad rights or not, you still CANT use domestic products commercially.

    Sue/Bayleaf's Traditional said:


    If you're born before 1964, you can claim 'Grandfathers rights' although you still need some training

  • this is getting complicated. if i spray a car park free of charge, i still need a licence?

This reply was deleted.

Industry Jobs

Maintenance gardener

We are looking for a full time maintenance gardener to join our busy team. We deal solely with private, top end gardens in the Richmond area of South West London. Applicant must have a working knowledge of common garden plants and experience with the usual maintenance tools. A driving licence is preferred. Applicant must be


Are you looking for an exciting job where you can experience the great outdoors and have a meaningful impact on UK conservation? What better way to mitigate climate change and benefit wildlife than planting trees and helping to create biodiverse habitats. As the UK’s most experienced ecological consultancy and contractor, Ecosulis is  currently looking to

Hard Landscaping Specialist

Hard and soft landscaping specialist immediate start for the right person, must have construction skills in all areas ie block, stone, brick etc. good rates of pay, initially self employed. This is a great opportunity for the right person, as nearing 70 years of age I need to step back a little. So if you


Skilled landscaper required for immediate start with family run business installing high end landscaping projects in Gloucestershire.

Business Objectives Group (BOG)

Hot Discussions

Latest blog post

Trade green waste centres

If you've received help from the Landscape Juice Network and you'd like to say thank you, why not make a small donation?

The site is maintained as an indpendent industry resource and it's become an essential tool for those working in the landscape industry.

Thank you

Phil Voice

Founder Landscape Juice

Make a donation

LJN Sponsor





I am looking for a device to record phone calls, from clients, I used to use boadbeast but it stopped working on my phone.. I have tried to download an app on my samsung 8... but it only recordes my voice not the callers.  I actually prefar…

Read more…