About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

Have I left it too late to get an accountant for January 18 tax return? Do you even get accountants that want '£15 per hour gardeners and handyman' type work?I completed January 17 as a sole trader working out of a car claiming a mileage allowance as simplified expenses. I paid about £1500 in tax and survived the experience.I've now got a van to include in Jan 18. I had optimistically thought I could claim everything (the van cost, the repair, fuel and insurance bills) as an expense.However, the HMRC help pages on simplified expenses vs actual costs and allowable expenses and writing down allowances is going round and round and getting more baffling with each read. As far as I can see from the HMRC checker I'm better off claiming actual costs on the van. So I create a main pool and write down 18% of the van cost per year. Bills like insurance and repairs still go into business expenses?Sorry to be a numpty but it's a bit stressful when confronted with a spreadsheet and officialdom. What with the weather you may have time to compose a gentle response and maybe spread a little good will and Christmas cheer...

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –


  • PRO

    I don't think you'll have a problem finding an accountant Tim. Have a look around your local area and make some calls.

    I think your dealings will be easy for an accountant to deal with and it's best to get yourself sorted sooner rather than later.

  • PRO Supplier

    You can get experienced bookkeeper types who can fill in the tax form and know how to submit everything properly, but if you want tax 'advice' and options for claiming then a fully qualified accountant would be better.....there's a difference in price however...

    Perhaps as its early days an accountant would be better - set up a 'template' and plan for claiming expenses & filing returns then hand over in future years to a (cheaper) good bookkeeper?

  • You may find many local accountant firms to you will gove a free consultation so you can ask loads of questions. I would recommend you do get professional advice as the tax man will not be sympathetic if you get it wrong. Book Keeping rates are less than an Accountant so may be an option is you are on tight budget.

    Personally I suggest spending a small sum to get an Accountant to sort it as if they do their job well they can save their fees in less tax due plus give you assurance you are in safe hands. Once you get more in tune with the ins and outs of it all you could dial it back to getting a qualified book keep to help in the future. However, a proper Accountant will always be the best option. 

    • as Russell says, the down side if you take it back on is if there is a change in the tax system it can take you a long time to find out the details a accountant will be up to speed quickly with the help of his professional body 

  • PRO
    A good, small business experienced Accountant is the best person you’ll ‘never’ employ.
  • Try local small accountants.

    I have a lady who works from home, has 3 kids and a few pets. She is the perfect person for one man/woman bands like us. Or try retired accountants who are very knowledgeable and do not charge the world either. Some wont have shiny websites either. Use the power of Google maps to find them. Merry Christmas

    • Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.
This reply was deleted.

Industry Jobs


Gardener required I run an established garden maintenance and soft landscaping business based in North London. I have a record of working in the industry and now work with fellow colleagues on domestic gardens. I’ve spent many years studying and training at Capel Manor. I’m looking to grow my business by taking on additional help

female landscaper/project manager – physic garden

Physic Garden – Project Manager / Landscaper Dec 19 – April 20 – part time – project based Freelance fee £8,000 Location – Nelson Lancashire Expressions of interest should include a letter, outline of relevant experience/CV and reference contact details by email to info@idlewomen.org by 20 Dec 2019   Idle Women the arts and social

Landscape Gardener (commercial maintenance)

We have an open position for an experienced commercial maintenance landscape gardener, ideally with good handyman skills, to join our company due to contiuned expansion. Based in west Surrey, we work across the South/South East predominately for commercial clients. The candidate will have/be: Experience in commercial grounds / estates maintenance with practical handyman skills Presentable

Experienced landscaper

Lawnswood Landscapes are currently looking for an experienced hard landscaper to work on a variety of projects Based in Southwick over the past 9 years we have established an excellent reputation for our work and now looking to expand due to our increased work load. The ideal candidate will need to have at least 4

Trade green waste centres

LJN Sponsor