About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

cheap BR600 carbs

Hello all.

Just wondered if anyone has any experience with the cheaper carburetors available online on a BR600. The stihl ones are about £125 whereas non-OEM is about £20.

I have used a number of cheap non-OEM carbs on the honda mower GCV160 engines which are a fraction of the price and work a treat.

Any experience or advice willingly accepted!

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• PRO

Not on the BR600's but have used them on HS81's. They work, but need to be set up as per manual. Seem ok, but hard to compare against original (fuel consumption etc). As a non-safety item I feel reasonably comfortable using them. I would not take that attitude if the part was a key safety item.

• PRO

3314794814?profile=RESIZE_320x320Carbs on recent Stihl equipment seem problematical, we've had several go on hedgecutters and hand blowers so keep a spare or two to hand. Has anyone else experienced this?

This is one of our spares for an HS81/86. I'm staggered at how such a complex spare part can be purchased in the UK for under £20.

There must be several 'middlemen' involved before it even gets to us....

• PRO
      I would suggest that the problem lies in its cheapness!
      If they built it better in the first place maybe it would not break?
      • PRO

???   It's the cheap ones (~£20) that last and are not breaking which are being used to replace the faulty original Stihl items.

The Stihl items cost ~£100+...

:confused:

• PRO
          Sorry got confused:)
          Thought you meant they were original ones for £20.
          I've been lucky and never had one break
        • PRO
          I suppose another thing is that they are not really very complex at all it's very old technology when you think about it.
          • PRO

Take a look at the huge number of small, intricate precision parts in the average complex carb.

It has a vital role in delivering the right, metered amount of fuel at all times, in all conditions.

Old technology does not remove it from being a complex piece of engineering.

• PRO
              Still disagree there are in small carbs 4 or 5 pricision parts. The rest are gaskets and screws etc.
              It won't work properly in all conditions without being retuned unless it has auto tune.
              They are cheap because they are made in the millions.
              • PRO

Ok, I'll bite...

Wiki : "A carburetor (American and Canadian spelling), carburator, carburettor, or carburetter .... To function correctly under all these conditions, most carburetors contain a complex set of mechanisms to support several different operating modes......

This job would be simple if air and petrol were ideal fluids; in practice, however, their deviations from ideal behavior due to viscosity, fluid drag, inertia, etc. require a great deal of complexity to compensate for exceptionally high or low engine speeds. A carburetor must provide the proper fuel/air mixture across a wide range of ambient temperatures, atmospheric pressures, engine speeds and loads, and centrifugal forces: 

• Cold start
                • Hot start
                • Idling or slow-running
                • Acceleration
                • High speed / high power at full throttle
                • Cruising at part throttle (light load)

In addition, modern carburetors are required to do this while maintaining low rates of exhaust emissions.

To function correctly under all these conditions, most carburetors contain a complex set of mechanisms to support several different operating modes, called circuits."

If you look at an exploded view of a 'basic' Walbro Carb it suggests they are far from simple:

3314798416?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

I'd call that 'complex', wouln't you ? Mass production does not negate the complexity of the item and most carbs in use work across a huge operating range as standard

This reply was deleted.

Trade green waste centres

<!-- Google tag (gtag.js) --> <script async src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtag/js?id=G-WQ68WVXQ8K"></script> <script> window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'G-WQ68WVXQ8K'); </script>

LJN Sponsor

Advertising