About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

My Viking proved to be too uneconomical to repair and service today so looking for a replacement. I was a fan of its grass collection capabilities so looked at a straight forward replacement from my dealers, now the MB 650 VM model but was disappointed to find out it no longer has a BBC which was really handy. Ive been quoted £555 inc vat for the new model and it comes with a mulching kit thrown in. The price seems very reasonable just undecided whether or not I can forego the BBC or invest in something like a Honda HRX 476 which has that feature, but then lose out on grass collection especially in the wet.

As we all know, all machines have pros and cons. Anybody else any recommendations for a 4 wheel 19" cut for under £800?

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Lawnflite 533.

• Hi Ray
    Just a little scenario for you.
    Have you ever owned an automatic vehicle, great easy aren't they, no changing gear.
    Did you then go back to a manual and if you did do you remember
    changing gear hundreds of times during a journey?
    In my experience no absolutly oblivious.
    Well IMO that is how it is without BBC especially with a Viking as they start effortlessly first time.
    Personally I would not contemplate investing in an unknown mower especially the wet collection aspect for the lack of a BBC.
    Not only that it's something less to go wrong plus I have never had to replace the starter recoil or the cord on the Vikings that I
    have and that's many years now.
    • Very true Gordon and the large box does allow max time before emptying ie. stopping.

• PRO

I love our viking 655G for its collection, this will be its 3rd year as our main mower with only the pull cord needing replacing.

We have just purchased a Honda roller, they seem to also collect very well! 

• Thanks for your input Daniel. I've decided to stay with what I know in the Viking and gone with another 650vm. At £555 inclusive it's too good of a deal to say no.

• Hi Daniel and Ray. I'm just wondering about how you manage with your main mower being 4 wheeled and not a roller. It's not the less defined striped finish i'm wondering about, but the grooves that get left by 4 wheeled machines. Do you not find that to be an issue? I've seen lawns done before by gardeners who only have 4 wheeled machines and after a few months the grooves are extremely pronounced and look pretty poor. It's a genuine question as i'd love to have a machine that's only £555 for my main mower. And secondly, do you do a lot of work with it every week as some seem to have had issues with Viking reliability when used all day every day?

• I've never seen a lawn deteriorate to the point where grooved tramlines appear, but we are mainly on free draining ground. You could either do a half pass after the first pass to offset the mower relative to the last cut, or if the lawn is large enough mow at a different angle.

My Viking has not been particularly reliable, but much better than the Etesia it replaced.

• PRO

Just to add, i think the main reliability questions with Vikings are with there roller mowers and not 4 wheeled ones. 

• PRO

Hi Jonathan, 

I've never experienced ruts myself, and we have used 4 wheeled mowers continuesly for around 4 years. However i am led to believe grass shouldn't be cut in the same direction all the time (myth or not). 

The Vikings are not commercial, however as i said ours is on its 3rd season now, needs the wheels replacing as all the tread is gone. (shows how much use it gets) They are also light and collect in the wet very well, best i have come across.

• We use 4 wheelers as well we always cut at 90 deprees from the previous cut and there is always an overlap on the return cut. We are on heavy clay and dont leave ruts.
    Always tempted by a roller but love how the etesia collects dont know if any roller would be as good
    But common sense will tell you that for all the talk of cutting in rain when the ground goes soft go down the pub. People are paying for a professional finish from a professional
This reply was deleted.

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

PRO Supplier

Agrovista Amenity is excited to announce that it will be continuing its partnership with national environmental charity The Tree Council, pledging to sponsor the planting of more than a thousand trees. The trees will be planted over the next…

Read more…