About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

Maruyama MC2600-RS with landscape blade

Hi Everyone

In a recent discussion started by Paul Berry " Stone hit car from lawnmower scenario" Gary posted a link for the Maruyama landscape blade.

I don't think people got that excited about it but i'm beginning to think we may have missed something ! One of my lads putting a stone through a clients patio doors on the first day back after Christmas may have something to do with it!

Image result for maruyama landscape blade imageImage result for maruyama landscape blade imageImage result for maruyama landscape blade image

http://www.hortweek.com/maruyama-mc2600-rs-landscape-blade/products-kit/article/1338404

http://www.maruyama.co.uk/news/

This is what i have found out

The landscape blade does not fling anything about so can be used over gravel near cars etc as there is no rick of damage through flying debris as Gary pointed out

Maruyama Tools carry a manufacturers five year commercial warranty ! Providing you use their brand of oil for the first 80 hours

The blades spin in opposite directions and scissor cut the grass so everything falls where its cut so no or less blowing around or sweeping up after cutting

Most of the reviews i have read seem  pretty positive and doing the vertical edges around bunkers (which could equally be lawns) seems to be a forte, see link, the blades appear to last a season doing this (because of sand) but can be replaced

The cost of a Mutli tool unit with the landscape blade attachment is £525 plus vat

Hedgecutter blade £309, Pole pruner £260,extension pole £43.45 plus vat

Complete combi kit £1137.45 plus vat

Echo multi tool with everything above except ext pole £735.00 plus vat ( 2 year commercial warranty)

Stihl Multi tool KM94RCE with everything except pole £865.83 plus vat (no idea of warranty)

All above prices are retail prices Maruyama don't seem keen to discount the others do

Patio Doors at customers flat £320 plus vat! You cant really use your public liability to cover this but that's another conversation!

Regards Ross

Ps Maruyama is difficult to say and you often end up with something else ! So just chill!

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I can see you're a great fan and I'd be interested to see your review once you've used one for a while:)  I also can't seem to find any longterm reviews from anyone which would be interesting........ I've no doubt it has its uses but for routine garden/site maintenance, I just can't see it catching on. In the video, it appears very slow and did not do as good a job as an ordinary strimmer. I can't see how it will be able to cut vegetation that's tight against obstacles, trees etc. Not smashing patio glass is definitely useful...... particularly for anyone inexperienced... however any experienced strimmer operator knows how to strim in such a way this virtually never happens.I'm all for new innovations so lets hope I'm proved wrong here:)  

• PRO

I have used one before,the golf club I used to work at had around 70 bunkers over the 2 courses with a lot of them having 'revetted' edges & it is a time consuming / labor intensive task trimming them.

One of the team went to help out at the British open one particular year and those guys there all raved about them for doing bunker edges. So one was bought to try out. 

I thought it did an ok job, not fantastic by any stretch of the imagination.However they were better at reshaping bunkers.

Not long after it arrived my boss decided to sharpen the blades himself and pretty much made a proper c**k up and they really didn't work after that & are probalby still lying in the same corner of the shed...

They are a bit like marmite

• PRO

'Tammy', I think it's easy to be dismissive of something new - I think it's a great device and suspect it will get further refined make more readily available and take off.

What product video have you watched - only the Maruyama one ?...Here's the Pellenc version being used around cars, in gutters/gravel "and tight against obstacles, trees etc"

It's not only inexperienced strimmers who can break something.....

p.s - you seem familar - have you been on LJN before ?
      • PRO
        It's quite good I think looking at the video.
        However how long it will stay sharp digging into gravel and dirt is anyone's guess it can't do it any good!!
        Slow around trees lampposts etc!!
        • PRO

It states because they are contra rotating they are 'self sharpening'

Iif it gets a job done that can't normally be done except manually, it still maybe that speed is acceptable ?

Suspect, like most skills, you get 'faster' with use/experience

• PRO
            For things like the path against the wall in the video I think it would be good. For trees and street furniture not quick enough I don't think.

Self sharpening blades have been around for years (combines etc) they are good but do need replacing sooner than normal blades because of the way they are made.
            • I'm still thinking about it but the supplier said they replaced the blades every year at the golf club due to the sand. Even so as a multi tool you can get the std strimmer head . Although they seem expensive the five year warranty maybe makes them "good value" if you write them down over 5 years?

Mum's round gottta go :-)

• This reply was deleted.
      • PRO
        From what I remember you are not supposed to touch them as they are designed to do it themselves.
        It's like a sandwhich of metal with differing hardness. As used the softer metal wears away leaving the harder metal as the cutting edge. If you try and sharpen them you can take too much of either metal away ruining it. They can from memory be machined again but not economically.
      • PRO

John, i got the impression at the time he expected it to work as quickly as a strimmer, however it's never going to be that fast.

He took a grinder to the blades to 'sharpen' them, though I think the blades are meant to get sent away to be done properly.

Apologies for not having a clear(er) cut answer to if they do the job or not. I decided to share as it seemed no one had hands on experience with them 

The landscape blade is much slower to use and doesn't handle thick grass well, from the times i used it, it was ok though not great. 

Howeveryou guys have a slightly different end use for it so who knows :)

• I don't see why we're reluctant to use new technology/ ideas?

Whilst a lot of our work relies on centuries of knowledge and experience, tools have always evolved and this just seems like a good option worth exploring.

Not sure about the comparison in the post though? Lawnmowers might throw stones up, but this is a strimmer alternative. Careful use of strimmer direction and speed, or simple protection of windows if you need to strim an area at full-power, is more down to operator care than machine choice!

This reply was deleted.

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

PRO Supplier

Agrovista Amenity is excited to announce that it will be continuing its partnership with national environmental charity The Tree Council, pledging to sponsor the planting of more than a thousand trees. The trees will be planted over the next…

Read more…