About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

PRO

Kubota W821 R long term reviews?

My local dealer has started stocking these but the reviews for them are thin on the ground, googling takes me mostly back here of which I have seen that Nick Milne uses/d one in each van.

How do they stack up with more than a season or so use on them? Is the shaft drive a decent solution to the problems of the drive system? Any other break downs? I appreciate its still an old style honda pattern but the W821 at the local dealer is £1125 whereas a Lawnflite (non high speed) is £1250.

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I can give a good review I had mine for 1 full season in all weathers and all grass types,just sold it on eBay as I ended up buying a sit on and decided to use my 19 inch to fill in the couple of gardens I used to mow with the kubota.
    Plus points... Startted first time everytime,the drive was amazing very solid would drive thru anything,fills the grass bag no problem,all the controls and trim are bombproof,slightly cheaper than the Honda hrh..
    Cons..... The biggest problem I had was the mower would clog even with dry grass,may risking in the blade not spinning and the clutch smoking,had to shout over many a lawn to the fellas switch it off before you burn the clutch out,now I'm not sure if this was because we were just ploughing into long grass expecting it to bag up but it happened a lot,I had a hrh Honda years ago and I don't remember having these issues but the Hondas drive were always playing up.
    Would I buy another. Kubota..no,I would spend the extra and get a Honda hrh
    • PRO

Okay thanks, not sure the plowing into long grass will really be a problem for me as I'd just use my 4 wheeler or rough cut mower for that.

• My dealer says they are the best of the Honda clones, and rates them as highly as the Hondas. They do look smart, as well.

Puzzled by the shaft-drive comment, though? They've always been shaft-drive. This means there's no cushioning in the drivetrain, so if you engage drive without pushing it to speed first the gearbox takes all the damage. The new gearbox is supposed to be stronger, but in over ten years of running them the gearboxes never broke on me.

It's the roller that's the long-term weak point. Budget for them to last a couple of seasons, and if you get them repaired before they wear too badly it's not the end of the world.

It's only the weight and length that made me choose something lighter, otherwise I'd have gone for the Kubota.

All roller machines with fabric bags are rubbish in the wet. I used to keep a spare bag with loads of 10mm holes in it, and that makes a difference.

• PRO

The new models (Kubota/Danarm etc) have a 'shock absorber' built into the drive shaft to address that problem - its a 2014/15 model year change.

• PRO

Paul this is what I mean by the shaft drive problem but I can see its clear as mud in the OP.

• Shaft Drive

The shaft drive rear wheel/roller transmission greatly reduces maintenance work compared to belt-driven mowers. Additionally, the shaft-mounted shock absorber also reduces slippage due to rain or grass clumps.

• PRO

Yes? Did you reply to the wrong person?

• PRO

I quite like ours- performance on a par with a Honda HRH.

Have had to replace needle roller bearings on one but that is with a team where the operatives are heavier than the rest of us. Another has just had its drive cable replaced.

I like the long handles as it means you can get into and underneath overhanging trees etc and I particularly like the way the drive positively snaps into place which is a big improvement over other Kaaz based mowers (and Honda HRH's).

Would I buy another? - yes.

• PRO
      How much longer are the handles compared to the Honda equivalent? Or are they the same length? Cheers
    • Two little niggles for me with these mowers, Can't stand the long handles and added with the solid roller I just found it too much of a pain but a good solid mower and pretty good cut and collection ability in all weather conditions.

The price you stated, I think you could push the dealer to give a little better discount.

This reply was deleted.

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

PRO Supplier

Agrovista Amenity is excited to announce that it will be continuing its partnership with national environmental charity The Tree Council, pledging to sponsor the planting of more than a thousand trees. The trees will be planted over the next…

Read more…