About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

Flail Mowers - Husqvarna rider 422

Hi all, I am after some feedback from those with experience of using flail mowers.  I have a 21hp Grillo Climber which does exactly as it's supposed to; cuts ridiculously long grass and scrub and is great on slopes. However, it's bit of a bone shaker and a bit tank-like and is nowhere near as maneuverable and user-friendly my Husqvarna rider 422.  I am considering getting the flail mower for the Husqvarna 422 for the sake of my back!

But, how do flails cope with stones, mole hills etc. Do they need resharpening? If so that looks like a real pain to do compared to the Grillo with it's two inexpensive, reversible blades.

How does the finish compare with both standard rotary mowers and ride on brushcutters (attila, grillo etc.)?  Is the finish good enough for small school playing fields etc? Or just the rough stuff?

Are they good for verges and are they safer in terms of flying stones?

How about wet grass?

Thanks very much in advance if anybody has the time to answer any of these questions!

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Flails are nearly totally useless for any kind of tidy grass mowing. Great for brambles and rough twiggy stuff. Stones and molehills won't bother them in the slightest, but it's basically cutting vegetation with a hammer rather than a sharp blade of a rotary. You don't generally sharpen flail blades but some are reversible for a fresh cutting edge.

They sap an incredible amount of power compared to a rotary, and leave a very rough finish. On a commercial contract the benefits might outweigh the rough finish.

• PRO
      Just for a laugh I thought I'd show you this! Lovely finish for a flail shame about the cost!!

http://www.ransomesmeteor.com/
      Ransomes Meteor - Ransomes Parkway 3 Meteor®
      • This reply was deleted.
        • PRO
          So do I!! But not for £33k plus VAT!
          • PRO
            Have to check on eBay in 5 years time :0)
            • PRO
              Yes that's about the size of it. I went as far as demoing one last year but did not dare to buy in the end too much risk for me.
      • PRO
        Impressive - I want one :)

We've used (hired) an out-front flail on a JD and thought it did a relatively good job on outfield / utility areas, but that Ransomes unit is something else...
    • PRO
      Flails do NOT necessarily leave a rough finish. Our Amazone leaves a finish on par with a very good rotary or cylinder mower. There is a difference between grass flail blades and hammer flail blades, our has back to back 'Y' flails in. Can't remember how many exactly but its a lot. Oh and yes you can sharpen then with a grinder for a better cut (although the metal is incredibly hard) and you can reverse them too. Not all flail mowers are the same!
  • Thanks for your comments everyone. Will have to get in touch with a Husqvarna rep to ask for a demo to know for sure, I can't afford the Ransomes just yet!  Until then the Grillo will serve me well. Cheers.

This reply was deleted.

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

PRO Supplier

Agrovista Amenity is excited to announce that it will be continuing its partnership with national environmental charity The Tree Council, pledging to sponsor the planting of more than a thousand trees. The trees will be planted over the next…

Read more…