Wood bark

I have been asked to quote as part of a large landscaping projet to supply and lay wood bark. The total area will be approx 1120 m2 and they require the depth to be 75mm deep. The area will be planted with 4000 2-3 ltr shrubs prior to this. I have tried the online calculators but are they that accurate?? Can anyone give me an idea of quantity I would need please. Many thanks in advance.

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –

• the dimentions work out to 84m3 plus you will need a little extra say 4 m3 to make shore  you have enough 

• Hi David thanks for this. Could you share your formula you have used for this please?

• 1120m2 x .075m =84 

• Thats what I use for gravel etc but bark is usually a lot lighter so not sure if this would be as accurate. Not saying you are wrong but personaly bit sceptical when working out bark as can never get it right!?

• PRO

The answer in the Spons book to the next question is 0.04 hours per m2.

Andy :-)

• that is volume not weight  it will settel a bit but in time it will rott away using the nitrogen in the soil

• PRO

Get it dropped loose, make sure you know spec of mulch - there are 6 or so major types and some you'll need to baulk up order by ~20%

Just a little practical advice, the 3"/75mm is a BS that most Landscape Architects / Developers use and they'll spec Melcourt. Price that up, show it to the client then scrape them up off the floor ! A cheaper alternate is often used.

It 'rarely' gets implemented at that depth due to the cost in my experience. Also you'll struggle planting many shrubs in 3" of mulch, you'll swamp them and you can't plant high to compensate

If it is a new build etc, speak to site manager/ground workers to ensure they leave you sufficient room to lay, otherwise you are presented with the task of excavating soil especially kerb/paving-side as they typically grade to finished level.

• What good advice Gary, which is why 'face to face' dialogue is essential right from the start of the process.

• Following on, we quoted a few years ago for "xxxx sq m Ornamental Bark Mulch at 75mm depth to all beds" only to find that the successful contractor used Wood Chip at a fraction of the cost. 

• PRO

We have just completed a restoration of a wooden framed zip wire and this involved spreading bark over a 180sqm area. To give you an idea we spread 20 tonnes or bulk bags over the area with some deeper levels where the footfall is greater. We eventually finished with an average depth of 10cm over all, with the exception of much greater depth where needed, personally i would have put another 8 tonnes in but it might give you an idea for your project 

This reply was deleted.

Industry Jobs

Grounds Maintenance Operative

The purpose of the Grounds Maintenance chargehand/team leader position is to carry out a range of duties to support the running of contracts. This will include operating machinery, towing a trailer, grass cutting, hedge cutting and general grounds maintenance duties, able to work on own initiative to complete daily work to a high standard The Grounds Maintenance Team Leader will

Landscape Site Manager

Woodhouse Landscape/Natural pools are a design and build company based near Cambridge We undertake a whole range of diverse projects from small patios to natural swimming pools and lake renovations right across the UK and abroad with a variety of private and business clients. We currently have a vacancy for a Skilled landscaper/site manager to

Landscaper Supervisor/Team Leader

Vibrant individual needed to join quality landscape design and build team in Cornwall. Applicant must have 5+ years experience in the industry, be skilled and competent in a range of hard landscape disciplines, be able to work to a very high standard and have great attention to detail, be able to guide and supervise a

Business Objectives Group (BOG)

Morning all,Not a riveting start to the 'spring' season. Trying to chalk this one off before my business reaches top speed. I'm just trying to build my understanding on GDPR so the time that I put into in is for sure the right work.I plan on…

Read more…
8 Replies · Reply by Geoffrey King 1 hour ago

Latest blog post

Trade green waste centres

If you've received help from the Landscape Juice Network and you'd like to say thank you, why not make a small donation?

The site is maintained as an indpendent industry resource and it's become an essential tool for those working in the landscape industry.

Thank you

Phil Voice

Founder Landscape Juice

Make a donation

LJN Sponsor

PRO Supplier

Javelin Aer-Aid instils an air of confidence

Andy Richards, Grounds Manager at Shrewsbury School, is a firm believer that aeration is one of the most important practices carried out by groundsmen, and this is exactly why he has recently purchased a new SISIS Javelin…

Read more…