Forum

What mower would you recommend for around £500?

Hi all. My 20 year old Honda is cutting her last lawn this weekend and I'm looking at getting a new one, hopefully for a budget of £500 or less. My largest cut takes about two and a half hours, which I would class as a medium sized lawn. It needs to be light (under 40kg) and be able to fold down easily to travel in my car boot (I put the back seats down and use it as a mini van type thing). I've been researching for weeks and don't feel any closer to a decision. That said, I'm a little bit tempted by the Snapper NX90, but can't find any helpful video reviews that aren't in Russian or Polish. Has anyone had experience with one? What do people recommend?

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• PRO

I have had a Toro personal pace  48 cm recycler as a main mower for Four years now , It mulches and boxes off , It weighs 34 kg and folds down , It's more suited for larger lawns and knocking down long grass than small lawns as its a bit long to turn around , 

The finish is good where quality doesn't matter so much and the grass doesn't need to be cut too short  but i wouldn't touch a manicured lawn with it but its a solid machine and a decent mulching machine But slow and the lowest cut is atrocious , If a customer asks me to cut the grass shorter i will use a different machine . 

• Although my customers are generally not too fussy, I think a good finish gets extra brownie points and bigger tips! i sympathise with the slow machine. My gearbox is on the way out and it feels like it plods along at half the speed it used to.
          • Hi Bob, this may not convince you to think again, but... the mowers I like the most from my collection, are both Hondas from the 80s. A HR194 with roller and 2 x HR214 on wheels. I’ve tried, and own, other mowers, but I always love using the old Hondas!
            Which model do you have, by the way?
            • Hi Sean, I've only got the one. From memory it's something like a 425cc. I started out about 5 years ago and just did brushcutting work, but more people are asking for lawns so I bought it second hand. The lady said it was at least 15 years old at that time. It's a great mower, but I think it's going to need an overhaul and Honda parts are really expensive to replace. Last service, the mechanic said a new gearbox is imminent and also the exhaust is making a lot of noise. It still keeps going though!
  • PRO

Hi Bob

Try the Honda Izy 466 SK, 18 inch cut,32kg, ideal for multiple lawns if you have to lift.

My staff prefer them to our other heavier mowers when doing 20+ lawns a day. The engine is powerful for the size of cut.

Andy

• Thanks Andy, you somehow managed to answer my question before I asked it! Found the same one last night for £530 and I think it's just what I'm looking for. I take it they are reliable, considering they get so much use?

http://irishgrassmachinery.ie/store/product/honda-hrg466-skex/
      Honda HRG466 SKEX
      The Honda IZY HRG 466 SKEX is a 46cm four-wheel rotary self-propelled lawn mower powered by the GCV135 OHC 4-stroke engine with auto choke for easy s…
  • PRO
    I use the 466 for almost every garden, I mulch most of the time but it's a good bagger and a solid mower and has never let me down. Not the fastest drive but not bad. I have hr216 which is the best bagging mower I have ever used old but very reliable.
    • Thanks, I'm I'm sold on it I think. Was looking at the 21" version too, but not sure the extra cost would be worth it for my work. Plus it's nice to be able to get into narrower places, which saves on strimming and raking.
      • PRO
        Hi bob, I saw in my local dealer they have increased the spec to include a mulcher and a versamow option! My advice is go for standard propelled model, you can't mulch a fortnightly mow. Easy to replace cables and repair bodywork. The engine will last forever. Did have an issue when they introduced the auto choke but they have sorted that now. We have an old 21 inch izy but the 466 is a better option for money. £530 is expensive!!
        • Thanks, I'll shop around a bit for a better deal. No more cuts until February, so plenty of time. Thanks again, much appreciated.
This reply was deleted.

Industry Jobs

Plant Health Supervisor

Plant Health Supervisor required for family run wholesale shrub & perennial nursery. Candidates must hold a full clean driving licence as you will be required to travel between sites. It is essential that you hold the correct industry standard qualifications for the post. The right candidate will be required to spray all stock on a

Landscape contractor

Landscape contractor required for Landscaping company based in Surrey. Candidate should have minimum five years experience and be  proficient in laying Paving, Brickwork, fencing, operating an excavator and general Landscaping tasks. A clean driving licence also required.

Experienced gardener

Grove Gardens is an established landscape gardening business in Brighton and Hove and we are currently looking for an experienced gardener to join our team. You must be a highly motivated individual with a professional attitude to your work. Experienced in garden maintenance and a good plant knowledge. A full driving licence is essential. Competitive

Landscape and grounds maintenance operative

Landscape and grounds maintenance operative required for a well established landscaping company based in south wales. Looking for an enthusiastic and well motivated worker who works well as part of a team or on their own.  Must have at least 3 years experience in landscaping/ grounds maintenance and sports ground maintenance and renovation. The roles

Business Objectives Group (BOG)

PRO

Insurance and FsB

Hi all I am new to this forum and am a new business looking for insurance to cover grounds mainteance and tree surgery. I have over 15 yrs of experience in both grounds maintenacne and tree surgery and the qualifications to match. I have been…

Read more…
2 Replies · Reply by Richard Gadsby 15 minutes ago
PRO

GDPR

Morning all,Not a riveting start to the 'spring' season. Trying to chalk this one off before my business reaches top speed. I'm just trying to build my understanding on GDPR so the time that I put into in is for sure the right work.I plan on…

Read more…
17 Replies · Reply by Andrew Betteridge 22 hours ago
PRO

Webb Lawnmowers, opinions?

Hi everyone, I have a small business, just me, and do mainly garden maintainence and weeding/planting along with other jobs such as jetwashing and so on as I have a number of elderly customers who always ask for very small "other" jobs. I cut lawns,…

Read more…
1 Reply · Reply by Adam Woods on Wednesday

Latest blog post

PRO Supplier

Sherriff Amenity is delighted to announce that it is now the exclusive UK distributor of Carbon Gold’s Enriched Biochar Turf Improver.

Carbon Gold’s aim is to increase soil fertility and improve turf health through the use of…

Read more…

Trade green waste centres

If you've received help from the Landscape Juice Network and you'd like to say thank you, why not make a small donation?

The site is maintained as an indpendent industry resource and it's become an essential tool for those working in the landscape industry.

Thank you

Phil Voice

Founder Landscape Juice

Make a donation

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Blogs

PRO Supplier

Sherriff Amenity is delighted to announce that it is now the exclusive UK distributor of Carbon Gold’s Enriched Biochar Turf Improver.

Carbon Gold’s aim is to increase soil fertility and improve turf health through the use of…

Read more…