Forum

PRO

Seen It All Now

On my return from my last job going down the A3, I came off at my junction had to stop at the roundabout. As I am at the junction waiting to pull out. I check traffic coming from the right and I can't believe what I saw.

I van with the side door open someone sitting inside with a sprayer boom held outside spraying what I presume to be the kerb!!!

I would imagine that it was a glyphosate to do the job that they where doing. I was right behind the van as I pulled out and he was doing between 15-20mph.

I'm not sure if the way they where spraying was legal ? Fast? yes, Efficient? unlikely, Safe? I doubt it.

Not sure if the particular company is a member here I would be interested to hear their view if they are. I am sure they will recognise this method of spraying.

I would have thought at that speed the spray would be going anywhere else except where it was supposed to be going.

They guy spraying just had a tyvek suit on no mask and a green safety helmet should he fall out and bonk his head.

Does anyone else know if companies spry like this?

I though it was bizarre and dangerous not only to the guy spraying but also anyone walking on the pavement.

I could be wrong of course and it is a perfectly legitimate way of spraying but not in my book.

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I've seen them round my way in a little Fiesta type van with the passenger sticking their arm out of the window spraying. Also they regularly ride round on quadbikes spraying as they go.

• PRO
      Yes loads of quad bike spraying done here for lincoln city council so that must be legal! Or you would hope so
  • its not legal to sit in the back of a van when its moving

• PRO

Surely it is illegal if the person is not in a seat and is not secured by a safety belt or the vehicle is not designed to carry a person in that compartment?

• PRO Supplier

Oh lordy! I wonder if they are even qualified? I'm not sure there is a PA2-DODGY qualification on offer?

I am sure road safety law would trump environment/ spray legislation in this case, but I can't imagine they will be sticking to a 30cm swath along kerb edge at 15-20mph....!

• PRO
    Curious - without mentioning names - were they in two tone green vehicles ?
    • PRO

No Just a white van with company name on the side. Van had Highway Maintenance on the back with red\yellow stripes and amber lights flashing. If you OM me I will tell you the name.

• PRO
    Can't think it would be at all effective. Spraying at 15-20mph would definitely negate any calibration for the amount of glyphosate landing on the required area, plus the effect of wind blow caused at that speed. I've definitely seen the quads operating on pavements using a Lance to administer spray.
This reply was deleted.

Industry Jobs

Landscape contractor

Landscape contractor required for Landscaping company based in Surrey. Candidate should have minimum five years experience and be  proficient in laying Paving, Brickwork, fencing, operating an excavator and general Landscaping tasks. A clean driving licence also required.

Experienced gardener

Grove Gardens is an established landscape gardening business in Brighton and Hove and we are currently looking for an experienced gardener to join our team. You must be a highly motivated individual with a professional attitude to your work. Experienced in garden maintenance and a good plant knowledge. A full driving licence is essential. Competitive

Landscape and grounds maintenance operative

Landscape and grounds maintenance operative required for a well established landscaping company based in south wales. Looking for an enthusiastic and well motivated worker who works well as part of a team or on their own.  Must have at least 3 years experience in landscaping/ grounds maintenance and sports ground maintenance and renovation. The roles

Grounds Maintenance Operative

The purpose of the Grounds Maintenance chargehand/team leader position is to carry out a range of duties to support the running of contracts. This will include operating machinery, towing a trailer, grass cutting, hedge cutting and general grounds maintenance duties, able to work on own initiative to complete daily work to a high standard The Grounds Maintenance Team Leader will

Business Objectives Group (BOG)

PRO

Webb Lawnmowers, opinions?

Hi everyone, I have a small business, just me, and do mainly garden maintainence and weeding/planting along with other jobs such as jetwashing and so on as I have a number of elderly customers who always ask for very small "other" jobs. I cut lawns,…

Read more…
0 Replies

Latest blog post

Trade green waste centres

If you've received help from the Landscape Juice Network and you'd like to say thank you, why not make a small donation?

The site is maintained as an indpendent industry resource and it's become an essential tool for those working in the landscape industry.

Thank you

Phil Voice

Founder Landscape Juice

Make a donation

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Blogs