Forum

Pruning espallier pear.

Hi guys.I've just been asked to prune a espalier pear which is growing against the gable of an old two story Victorian house. Its growing up past the chimney. It hasn't been done in at least 4 years, maybe longer. I will use a ladder and hand tools. I'm just starting out in this business, and I want to get the quote right. It's in my village so I want to give a fair price. I'm not sure if I can attach a photo here?

Many thanks.

Joe

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Similar to what I was taught in commercial fruit growing, I am slowly learning there seems to be a difference between traditional garden growing and commercial but don't feel experienced enough yet to come to conclusions
        • I've worked on standard fruit trees in an ornamental garden setting that had been Pruned hard in winter to reduce overall tree size by another Gardener and spent the next 2/3 seasons correcting the regrowth.&lt;br/&gt;<br/>
          The principles of pruning requirements are the same,winter pruning will promote growth and summer pruning will restrict it.&lt;br/&gt;<br/>
          If you take the top out in winter you will get a vigorous regrowth come the spring.then you've got to deal with that aswell as the normal seasonal growth.&lt;br/&gt;<br/>
          It's a balancing act for sure.&lt;br/&gt;<br/>
          With out seeing the tree I'd go for cutting out dead damaged diseased wood and thin out existing spurs,remove a 3Rd of the epicormic growth.&lt;br/&gt;<br/>
          Then return in late spring time and take out the top.<br/>
          The old Gardener I took over from. Had spent 50 yrs in the same garden, had loads of restricted forms of pears apples nectarines peaches etc,aswell as being partly responsible for the 50 odd acres of gala planted in the Orchards used to say to me" your growing the tree for fruit so prune according "<br/>
          Where I was as a gardener more concerned with the aesthetics of the tree's.<br/>
          He certainly new his apples and pears the proof was there all around the walls in the half acre walled veg garden.
    • PRO
      Joe

Can you email me the image?
      I’ll pop it into the thread.
      • Hi Phil. I've just used Facebook messenger to send you pictures. Many thanks. Joe
  • PRO

• Spur prune the lower tiers back to this seasons growth thin out top 1/3 rule and return to remove top in spring I'd say.
      Looks like it's been a while since its seen a set of felcro's. Also looks like it may of started our life as a fan trained form.
  • PRO

• Congratulations on the 175, they will need you back a few times to remove the milk shoots about half a day twice in the summer. That's if you brutalise it back to form..
  • PRO

This reply was deleted.

Industry Jobs

Mechanic & Service Support Engineer

Working with a team of dedicated hard working enthusiasts in the Grass & Groundcare machinery industry the successful applicant will be responsible for undertaking the build up, pdi, servicing and repairs of a range of grounds machinery. With a range of ability’s and attributes allowing you to work under your own initiative diagnosing and repairing

Grounds Maintenance Operative

GROUNDS MAINTENANCE OPERATIVES Our client based on the beautiful Jurassic coast is a successful, growing and ambitious organisation providing grounds maintenance services across Dorset and landscaping and safety surfacing throughout the South West. They are a forward thinking company with innovative plans to develop in the future. They are looking to recruit a number of

HARD LANDSCAPE TEAM LEADER

We are urgently looking for experienced hard landscapers capable of leading a team and turning plans into finished gardens. Immediate start and good rate of pay for the right person. We are members of the Association of Professional Landscapers and a Marshalls registered installer so an eye for detail and top quality finish are essential.

Team Leader landscape maintenance

Landscape maintenance team leader working out of Rusthall in Tunbridge Wells. Great opportunity for career minded individual as future development for the right applicant is significant. You will be responsible for maintaining the landscaped areas around a number of commercial and residential sites throughout Kent and Sussex. Work to include grass cutting, hedge trimming, border

Latest blog post

PRO

How to Revive a Worn Out Lawn

Is your lawn weedy, mossy, baldy or just plain tired looking? In this blog we’ll show you how to revive your worn out lawn and make your neighbours turn green with envy.

Ireland is one of the best countries in the whole world…

Read more…
Comments: 0

Trade green waste centres

If you've received help from the Landscape Juice Network and you'd like to say thank you, why not make a small donation?

The site is maintained as an indpendent industry resource and it's become an essential tool for those working in the landscape industry.

Thank you

Phil Voice

Founder Landscape Juice

Make a donation

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Blogs

PRO

How to Revive a Worn Out Lawn

Is your lawn weedy, mossy, baldy or just plain tired looking? In this blog we’ll show you how to revive your worn out lawn and make your neighbours turn green with envy.

Ireland is one of the best countries in the whole world…

Read more…
Comments: 0
PRO

In the first of a several part blog that we are writing, we will explain some of the terms that are often used in lawncare service leaflets and by contractors but many of you out there may not actually understand what they mean!…

Read more…
PRO Supplier

Nothing but MM50 for Sportsturf Management

Following a successful trial, Jamie Foyster - owner of Sportsturf Management, has now chosen to exclusively use Limagrain’s MM50 grass seed across every single cricket square he tends to.

It is safe to say that Jamie Foyster knows a…

Read more…