Moving sleepers

I've been given some sleepers by a customer. They are sat in a pile at the far end of their garden.

I was wondering if any of the landscapers on the site had any hints and tips for moving sleepers (as they are the full size railway ones) causing the minimum amount of damage to my customers block paving and grass.

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –

• Just an update. I went for the sack barrow option along with a piece of plywood to get up a step that was in my way.

It all worked out well except for an eight foot long monster of a railway sleeper complete with fixings that I ended up having to cut about a third off due to it was too heavy for me.

Once again, thanks for the tips. I can always rely on LJN to act as a voice of reason and means to getting a job done.

all the best

• PRO

I found this post the other day... having 2 gardens that simultataeously require oak railway sleepers, and no help this week. These are the proper heavyweight ones... I have got a solution that worked for me, and I will certainly be using again. I only had to move 5 yesterday and 9 today... and that has been quite enough - but it works.

• Get yourself a heavy duty sack trolley with big pneumatic tyres
    • Load a sleeper onto the trolley so that there is little or no effort required to lift it.... as in the weight is 100% on the trolley.
    • Rachet strap the sleeper to the trolley, tightly
    • On concrete and ordinary lawn the trolley is perfectly manoverable - if the lawn is precious, or there is deep gravel, put down gravel board to provide a track
    • Short steep hills can be dealt with by using a rope around a tree/gate post and then round the trolley handle - and then pulling from the top of the hill.
    • It helps if the ground is frozen solid :)
  • I move them round using 2 people with a couple of timber tongs, makes handling them so much easier.

• PRO

Agreed on 2 people, but flu struck and it was me only.....the sleepers were craned onto the client's had to go today

• PRO

Something like this from Windysmith.

• PRO

That’s actually over engineered, barrow wheels are okay for sleepers.

This reply was deleted.

Industry Jobs

Grounds Maintenance Operative

The purpose of the Grounds Maintenance chargehand/team leader position is to carry out a range of duties to support the running of contracts. This will include operating machinery, towing a trailer, grass cutting, hedge cutting and general grounds maintenance duties, able to work on own initiative to complete daily work to a high standard The Grounds Maintenance Team Leader will

Landscape Site Manager

Woodhouse Landscape/Natural pools are a design and build company based near Cambridge We undertake a whole range of diverse projects from small patios to natural swimming pools and lake renovations right across the UK and abroad with a variety of private and business clients. We currently have a vacancy for a Skilled landscaper/site manager to

Landscaper Supervisor/Team Leader

Vibrant individual needed to join quality landscape design and build team in Cornwall. Applicant must have 5+ years experience in the industry, be skilled and competent in a range of hard landscape disciplines, be able to work to a very high standard and have great attention to detail, be able to guide and supervise a

Business Objectives Group (BOG)

Morning all,Not a riveting start to the 'spring' season. Trying to chalk this one off before my business reaches top speed. I'm just trying to build my understanding on GDPR so the time that I put into in is for sure the right work.I plan on…

Read more…
8 Replies · Reply by Geoffrey King 1 hour ago

Latest blog post

Trade green waste centres

If you've received help from the Landscape Juice Network and you'd like to say thank you, why not make a small donation?

The site is maintained as an indpendent industry resource and it's become an essential tool for those working in the landscape industry.

Thank you

Phil Voice

Founder Landscape Juice

Make a donation

LJN Sponsor

PRO Supplier

Javelin Aer-Aid instils an air of confidence

Andy Richards, Grounds Manager at Shrewsbury School, is a firm believer that aeration is one of the most important practices carried out by groundsmen, and this is exactly why he has recently purchased a new SISIS Javelin…

Read more…