Forum

Invoicing / Late payers

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on Landscape Juice. I hope i'm posting in the right place, I didnt see an introduce yourself section. 

I set up my own small gardening company (soft landscaping/maintenance, domestic customers) last spring and it’s been going really well. I’m lucky, I love my job. However I’m getting increasingly cheesed off by customers that don’t pay and need chasing.

I’m just looking for some perspective on what is normal and whether I am overreacting... I tend to get itchy after 4 or 5 days, especially if it’s over £100 and I have had to fork out my own money for tipping fees.
What sort of timescales are reasonable / normal? I don’t specify on my invoices when payment is due by which I appreciate needs to change, should I start saying within 7 days? I just took it for granted that people would pay within a few days, like I do if I use trades people. Clearly I have been naive. 

I'm also considering one of those izettle card readers for one off jobs (my regulars are good at paying me straight away), thoughts? 

Thanks in advance

Sarah 

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• There is an invoicing app on iPhone ( unsure about android) called Albert. It is brilliant for small businesses. So most of my customers pay me cash but the odd ones that want to pay on invoice, I use this. It’s free and you can set terms to whatever you like, ( mine are 7 days) 

once you put the details in you can duplicate the invoice for your next visit. I can not recommend this enough, for me it’s so fantastic and your customer see’s something quite official which I think prompts payment. Try it :)

• PRO

I use Wave for free invoicing. 7 days for residential and 30 days for commercial. You can set reminders to auto send if it's not paid. I think this is the most professional and fair way to do it . Personally I think demanding cash from people is a bit unprofessional and also gives the air of mistrust. Why should a few late payers mean everyone has the hassle of going to get cash. 

• PRO

Before now I have finished a job, presented the bill, only to be asked if there is an discount for paying straight away. That really does not go down well with me, do some people actually think you are putting quoted prices up to be able to then barter after the job is done?

• PRO

I always say payment upon completion and do not invoice, I issue a receipt upon payment. On larger jobs I demand a 50% deposit then balance on completion. I have a card reader and a go cardless account to send a link to pay by single or recurring direct debit. On regular customers about half pay by cash which I collect on a weekly basis this can run up a little but I always get paid eventually. 

This reply was deleted.

Industry Jobs

Plant Health Supervisor

Plant Health Supervisor required for family run wholesale shrub & perennial nursery. Candidates must hold a full clean driving licence as you will be required to travel between sites. It is essential that you hold the correct industry standard qualifications for the post. The right candidate will be required to spray all stock on a

Landscape contractor

Landscape contractor required for Landscaping company based in Surrey. Candidate should have minimum five years experience and be  proficient in laying Paving, Brickwork, fencing, operating an excavator and general Landscaping tasks. A clean driving licence also required.

Experienced gardener

Grove Gardens is an established landscape gardening business in Brighton and Hove and we are currently looking for an experienced gardener to join our team. You must be a highly motivated individual with a professional attitude to your work. Experienced in garden maintenance and a good plant knowledge. A full driving licence is essential. Competitive

Landscape and grounds maintenance operative

Landscape and grounds maintenance operative required for a well established landscaping company based in south wales. Looking for an enthusiastic and well motivated worker who works well as part of a team or on their own.  Must have at least 3 years experience in landscaping/ grounds maintenance and sports ground maintenance and renovation. The roles

Business Objectives Group (BOG)

PRO

Webb Lawnmowers, opinions?

Hi everyone, I have a small business, just me, and do mainly garden maintainence and weeding/planting along with other jobs such as jetwashing and so on as I have a number of elderly customers who always ask for very small "other" jobs. I cut lawns,…

Read more…
1 Reply · Reply by Adam Woods 2 hours ago
PRO

Running costs

I know we all have differnt costs, income, circumstances, situations etc, but I'm interested to see what you would expect the daily running costs would be for a one man band with two subcontractors?I'm talking one team of three people with one…

Read more…
10 Replies · Reply by John Powley 12 hours ago

Trade green waste centres

If you've received help from the Landscape Juice Network and you'd like to say thank you, why not make a small donation?

The site is maintained as an indpendent industry resource and it's become an essential tool for those working in the landscape industry.

Thank you

Phil Voice

Founder Landscape Juice

Make a donation

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Blogs