• PRO

Del, this is a piece of string answer - really depends on the mix & size of customers, plus type of work being done.

Some examples: for lawn care only it could be 150 to 400, for mowing only 50 to 150, for gardening only 20 to 60. These would be regulars ie every week/14d/monthly/quarterly, then you'd have people that you might see only a couple of times year or one offs.

You're just starting out, so it's a blank sheet I guess. Start with what services you're offering and what you'd like as your typical customer.

• I was just curious to see how many regulars one man businesses have approx, but yeah thinking about it its a silly question really lol. Im putting it down to too much alcohol over crimbo.
      • PRO
        Some days you only need 1 client others 10 or more (this is based on me grass cutting!)
        Just keep getting them until you don’t want/need anymore!
  • I would advise you to think in terms of how much you need to earn per week and not in the number of jobs you require.

If you think that you have to get x number of jobs you will end up in a lose/win situation, where you lose by doing the job at a low price and the customer wins because they are getting the job done at low cost.

You should try to work out a win/win formula to offer potential customers so that you are getting paid a healthy price for the job which allows you to perform a good job for the customer.

A win/lose situation would be where you are charging over the odds and not performing to the customers expectations.

If you are unable to negotiate a win/win situation (where you expect to get your* price for supplying a service to the customers expectations), then the best alternative is "No Deal".

* Your price should be based on what you want out of the job to suit your own desired income, and not based on what you hear other people are charging.

• you will not get 8 one hour jobs don in a 8 hour day unless they are next door to one another and no one is at home, also there will be inclement weather and folk will nock you off for winter  

I had about 30 regulars 2 of which were full days all year round then a few one offs  

• Aim for turnover figure not customer number. We have two contracts at 16 hrs per week each, quite a number at 1 hour per week and lots in between.

• PRO
      Not that you do I ausume Colin, but not having all your eggs in one basket is a good idea, I know of a firm who lost £80k of work overnight( wasn’t quite like that but they were told that at year end non of the contracts they had were being renewed as they were taking all maintenance in house on January the 1st)
      Something to think about that’s all
      • PRO

You can take on as many customers as you like but coping with the workload is a different matter entirely , Someone summed it up on here once with the well chosen words '' take on customers who fit your criteria '' . 

• PRO
          That’s true, I was just cautioning about doing too much work for one client that’s all
      • Definitely not Richard. I have posted before on here, that I was told many years ago never to let one customer become over 25% of your turnover.  By keeping that in mind we expanded with the company who's Chairman gave me that advice. They expanded massively and we have had the maintenance contract for 30+ years.  That is where luck can come in I guess.

This reply was deleted.

Industry Jobs

Grounds Maintenance Operative

The purpose of the Grounds Maintenance chargehand/team leader position is to carry out a range of duties to support the running of contracts. This will include operating machinery, towing a trailer, grass cutting, hedge cutting and general grounds maintenance duties, able to work on own initiative to complete daily work to a high standard The Grounds Maintenance Team Leader will

Landscape Site Manager

Woodhouse Landscape/Natural pools are a design and build company based near Cambridge We undertake a whole range of diverse projects from small patios to natural swimming pools and lake renovations right across the UK and abroad with a variety of private and business clients. We currently have a vacancy for a Skilled landscaper/site manager to

Landscaper Supervisor/Team Leader

Vibrant individual needed to join quality landscape design and build team in Cornwall. Applicant must have 5+ years experience in the industry, be skilled and competent in a range of hard landscape disciplines, be able to work to a very high standard and have great attention to detail, be able to guide and supervise a

Business Objectives Group (BOG)

Morning all,Not a riveting start to the 'spring' season. Trying to chalk this one off before my business reaches top speed. I'm just trying to build my understanding on GDPR so the time that I put into in is for sure the right work.I plan on…

Read more…
11 Replies · Reply by Phil Voice yesterday

Latest blog post

PRO Supplier

Andy Richards, grounds manager at Shrewsbury School, has added to his existing fleet of Dennis mowers after recently purchasing three new Dennis FT510’s and two new G760’s.

Andy has been the grounds manager at the illustrious…

Read more…

Trade green waste centres

If you've received help from the Landscape Juice Network and you'd like to say thank you, why not make a small donation?

The site is maintained as an indpendent industry resource and it's become an essential tool for those working in the landscape industry.

Thank you

Phil Voice

Founder Landscape Juice

Make a donation

LJN Sponsor

PRO Supplier

Andy Richards, grounds manager at Shrewsbury School, has added to his existing fleet of Dennis mowers after recently purchasing three new Dennis FT510’s and two new G760’s.

Andy has been the grounds manager at the illustrious…

Read more…
PRO Supplier

After trialling a range of various wetting agents, Jonathan Smith, Course Manager at Cowdray Park Golf Club, West Sussex, found exactly what he was looking for in Sherriff Amenity’s Aqua-Zorb Liquid.

Golf has been played at Cowdray…

Read more…
PRO Supplier

Javelin Aer-Aid instils an air of confidence

Andy Richards, Grounds Manager at Shrewsbury School, is a firm believer that aeration is one of the most important practices carried out by groundsmen, and this is exactly why he has recently purchased a new SISIS Javelin…

Read more…