About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

PRO
Out spraying earlier this week all kited up and a bloke from the local water companie comes over and starts chatting, he asked what I was useing, which was roundup to which he replied that he used it at his reservoir to spray the dam to keep it weed free. He then said that he never knew how much to mix up each time, to which I politely enquired wether he had his spraying tickets as that is part of the course. To which he replied no he didnt but all the other lads did. This does worry me somewhat and I wondered you guys thought as a big company is letting un qualified personnel spray next to drinking water sources.

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Why not word a brief letter to your local paper :)
  • Could be why all of us who have all the tickets, licenses, do all the courses and do all the required paperwork, get under cut all the time.
  • was it on his private or public water co water course????

not meant to spray it 5m near water as far as i remember or maybe 2 meters !!! its not aquatic safe ??!!
  • How old was this person ive seen older folk spraying with no tickets they claim grandfather rights
    i dont know if it is right
  • PRO
    Yes roundup pro biactive is safe to use near and in watercourses .
    Also yes there is grandfarthers rights for those old enough although they are on about abolishing that I belive.
    To me its just the fact that a company responsible for provideing public water is letting there untrained employees spray chemicals at the side of the reservior. I know how much grief I get from the EA when needing to spray near water it just is begger belief.
  • I see it so many times on here im beginning to wonder if i'm right!! Grandfathers rights was brought in basically to protect old farmers! Yes you can spray without a ticket but ONLY on your OWN land!!
  • PRO
    "All pesticide users must be adequately trained, no matter what their age and qualifications. The law says that contractors who apply agricultural pesticides commercially, and all operators born after 31 December 1964, are required to have a certificate of competence.

The right to apply pesticides without an operator’s certificate of competence, because the operator was born before 31 December 1964, is known as ‘grandfather rights’. A trained operator can therefore be someone who does not have a certificate of competence but who has attended some training courses and has “grandfather rights”.

http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/approvals.asp?id=1945
  • PRO
    FYI...I qualify for Grandfather rights (born June 1964).

You've made me feel old :-0)
  • if he doesnt know how to 'mix' , does he know what he is mixing ???????????

Will - WB Design & Construction said:
    Also yes there is grandfarthers rights for those old enough although they are on about abolishing that I belive.
    To me its just the fact that a company responsible for provideing public water is letting there untrained employees spray chemicals at the side of the reservior. I know how much grief I get from the EA when needing to spray near water it just is begger belief.
  • PRO
    I belive he knew he was using roundup pro biactive but as for concentration no idea and he sprays alone no supervision.

Gardens4u.co.uk said:
    if he doesnt know how to 'mix' , does he know what he is mixing ???????????

Will - WB Design & Construction said:
This reply was deleted.

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

PRO Supplier

Agrovista Amenity is excited to announce that it will be continuing its partnership with national environmental charity The Tree Council, pledging to sponsor the planting of more than a thousand trees. The trees will be planted over the next…

Read more…