So I am currently trying to secure a small garden renovation job. The person shows me what they want, I sketch them up a quick top down layout taking elements from some of the pictures I was shown. They like the design, I price it up and come back with a 3.5k price and a 3.2k price, the higher one including a discounted Indian sandstone I have surplus and wanted rid of. To do the job properly would mean taking out and getting rid of the old patio which covered the entire area, subbase, brick edgings, decorative gravel, laying down turf, putting down membrane and bark by the bushes at the back. Not a hard job by any means and a fair price in my opinion. So I get a message back saying that it was too much and was only looking to spend 2.5k. Now I explain that it funnily enough costs money to rip out and get rid of a garden full of patio and that it unfortunately adds to the price. So I go back to the drawing board and the only way I can get anywhere near their desired budget is to lay on top of existing patio area which isnt really what I want to do but it is below dpc and she would have to sign a waiver if I did. So I come in at 2.75k which to have any garden redone is a bloody bargain. She agrees, I say I'll bring around the contract and we can sort out deposit which is 50%. OK she says but then texts me to say she can only give me £500 by next Thursday. OK I said, not a massive problem I'll just wait for the rest before I start. Get another text this morning 'please can I have a breakdown of the costs.' Not something I really like to do and tbh it always rankles me. So I said £750 materials the rest is labour.
'OK ill let you know.'
'let me know what? Have you changed your mind?'
'my partner is looking at quotes'
Now this really p***** me off. I'm absolutely certain that they will go find some cowboy now who will do it for a grand and use my design. Now if they do..
Any ideas how to proceed with this? It seems that there is certainly a verbal agreement backed via texts to contract me and that I have done the legwork on it.
Should I just leave it as its not a massive paying job or should I say don't use my design or go full hog with something more to recoup any losses?
There is no written contract signed.
Am I right or wrong here (bit bitter about it tbh)