Forum

Replies

• I have always worked on a basis of working 220 days a year.  

• PRO

we manage to work around 48 weeks a year less the weather turns really bad over winter my men have 4 weeks holiday a year 

• i have 100 maintenance clients of which 60 are grass cutting only clients with the remaining 40 gardening clients most of the work is done and finishing up next week with autumn tidys done last month and the winter pruning all done this month. ive tried promoting extras such as driveway cleaning etc but in all honesty this time of year most people have there christmas head on.. i close for 7 weeks and make next visit end feb - during such time i do all my accounts and prepare all for next year and then take my holidays. have tried getting work jan/feb but in 5 years its never been worth while unless your into the gritting

• Interesting that you finished your 'Autumn tidies' last month Matt, we are still clearing leaves and will pay another visit to all of our gardens before Christmas. Yesterday, on one small garden of no more than 250sq.m, we collected 2 bulk bags full of Oak leaves - even tho we were there last week, the Birch are also hanging on this year. Jan/Feb and March will be pruning and general prep for the growing season and probably the odd topping of the grass. 

• PRO
        Like Colin, we're still full on and still will be until Christmas.

We're busy doing a business park blitz today and have removed 22off 1000l bags of leaves and today we are in doing minor tree and hedge works.

I reckon we are busier during these months that at any other time.
        • PRO
          I like this time of year as you can take a day off if you feel like it. For me at least there's not much that can't wait another day!
          • PRO
            Absolutely, if you box clever you dictate what and how much you want to do... But there is always something to do that will generate some cash flow if needed :)
        • PRO

I'm shocked that you have finished with leaves. I've spent most of the week clearing them and there are still a good few on the trees to give me more work up till Christmas. Sure we had 4 real hard frosts last week but the oaks are hanging on.

To be fair, this has been a bumper year for leaves, so much so I even spoke to others in the trade locally and there has definitely been a lot more this autumn.

Regarding other duties, I've barely started pruning yet and there are still a number of hedges that need trimming. I think I'll end up with about 10 days off over Christmas and then if I run low on work I'll point out  to customers its a good time to plant those shrubs that will fill in any unsightly gaps in their gardens.

Re the opening post. It takes a while to get established in this game but once you know what to expect, you can upsell accordingly. It's also worth remembering, most industries are quiet in Jan and Feb too.

• guess it depends where you are, but all leaves were off trees here mid november due to hard frost early november 

• PRO

Has anyone ever considered creating a business plan that lets you work just 4 days a week instead of 5?

It's not as dramatic or outrageous as it might first appear.

Simply work out all of your overhead costs, add on the profit you wish to make, then divide it by the number of days a year you wish to work. This daily rate (internal use only) then becomes your target.

Of course you can still work an extra day if you want to (and maybe Saturday) but it means that apart from cost of sales, all tie worked over the 4 day target is profit.

This reply was deleted.

Industry Jobs

Plant Health Supervisor

Plant Health Supervisor required for family run wholesale shrub & perennial nursery. Candidates must hold a full clean driving licence as you will be required to travel between sites. It is essential that you hold the correct industry standard qualifications for the post. The right candidate will be required to spray all stock on a

Landscape contractor

Landscape contractor required for Landscaping company based in Surrey. Candidate should have minimum five years experience and be  proficient in laying Paving, Brickwork, fencing, operating an excavator and general Landscaping tasks. A clean driving licence also required.

Experienced gardener

Grove Gardens is an established landscape gardening business in Brighton and Hove and we are currently looking for an experienced gardener to join our team. You must be a highly motivated individual with a professional attitude to your work. Experienced in garden maintenance and a good plant knowledge. A full driving licence is essential. Competitive

Landscape and grounds maintenance operative

Landscape and grounds maintenance operative required for a well established landscaping company based in south wales. Looking for an enthusiastic and well motivated worker who works well as part of a team or on their own.  Must have at least 3 years experience in landscaping/ grounds maintenance and sports ground maintenance and renovation. The roles

Business Objectives Group (BOG)

PRO

GDPR

Morning all,Not a riveting start to the 'spring' season. Trying to chalk this one off before my business reaches top speed. I'm just trying to build my understanding on GDPR so the time that I put into in is for sure the right work.I plan on…

Read more…
13 Replies · Reply by Geoffrey King 2 hours ago
PRO

Webb Lawnmowers, opinions?

Hi everyone, I have a small business, just me, and do mainly garden maintainence and weeding/planting along with other jobs such as jetwashing and so on as I have a number of elderly customers who always ask for very small "other" jobs. I cut lawns,…

Read more…
1 Reply · Reply by Adam Woods 5 hours ago
PRO

Running costs

I know we all have differnt costs, income, circumstances, situations etc, but I'm interested to see what you would expect the daily running costs would be for a one man band with two subcontractors?I'm talking one team of three people with one…

Read more…
10 Replies · Reply by John Powley 16 hours ago

Trade green waste centres

If you've received help from the Landscape Juice Network and you'd like to say thank you, why not make a small donation?

The site is maintained as an indpendent industry resource and it's become an essential tool for those working in the landscape industry.

Thank you

Phil Voice

Founder Landscape Juice

Make a donation

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Blogs