Briggs & Stratton engines....grr

I have two 21" mowers - a Toro and a John Deere. Both have B&S engines and both are a complete pain!

After they have been run for 20 minutes or more (so basically all my grass cuts) they get very hot and won't restart. I have to wait at least half an hour to an hour for them to cool down enough to get going again. The John Deere is back at the workshop being examined but they can't see anything wrong. It's really stressful at clients when your expecting the damn things to stop working!

I'd advise gardeners to think twice before buying a mower with one of these engines. I wish I'd stuck to Honda.......

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –

• PRO
    Try champion plugs instead of NGK.....
    • LOL! The Deere had it's Champion plugs changed for NGK ones by the workshop last week! They said NGK are the best.....

• PRO
    Good point Nick about the plugs may also be worth checking the coil
    • Thanks Graeme. Apparently a new coil will be fitted in the next couple of days to the Deere so we will see if this does the trick!

• PRO
        It did the trick on my John Deere
  • PRO

Are these the newer generation (ish) of B and S engines with auto choke? A lot of these had issues from day 1 and will basically apply the choke when its not needed (ie hot engine), causing it to flood and not start.

Carry a spare spark plug - only cost pennies - and change it next time it won't start to rule that out.

• Thanks Adam - I will give that a go. Yep - they both have autochoke!

• PRO

we've had some of these auto choke Briggs - and yes the choke has been the problem. Our mechanic showed us a trick: there is a small lever under the front engine cover top LHS if in front of the mower facing it - flick that whilst someone else pulls the starter and it normally bursts into life. Bit of a pain if by yourself and we avoid these engines in preference of Kawasaki and Honda

• PRO
    My advice in this situation would be, dig a really, really, really big hole, then take your engines and throw them in it, cover over and move on.... Obviously drain of fuel and oil first though.... Another example of ruining a good company, pissing about with the designs, the old engines are super, should have left them alone......
This reply was deleted.

Industry Jobs

Landscape and grounds maintenance operative

Landscape and grounds maintenance operative required for a well established landscaping company based in south wales. Looking for an enthusiastic and well motivated worker who works well as part of a team or on their own.  Must have at least 3 years experience in landscaping/ grounds maintenance and sports ground maintenance and renovation. The roles

Grounds Maintenance Operative

The purpose of the Grounds Maintenance chargehand/team leader position is to carry out a range of duties to support the running of contracts. This will include operating machinery, towing a trailer, grass cutting, hedge cutting and general grounds maintenance duties, able to work on own initiative to complete daily work to a high standard The Grounds Maintenance Team Leader will

Landscape Site Manager

Woodhouse Landscape/Natural pools are a design and build company based near Cambridge We undertake a whole range of diverse projects from small patios to natural swimming pools and lake renovations right across the UK and abroad with a variety of private and business clients. We currently have a vacancy for a Skilled landscaper/site manager to

Landscaper Supervisor/Team Leader

Vibrant individual needed to join quality landscape design and build team in Cornwall. Applicant must have 5+ years experience in the industry, be skilled and competent in a range of hard landscape disciplines, be able to work to a very high standard and have great attention to detail, be able to guide and supervise a

Business Objectives Group (BOG)

Fuel Expenses

I keep reading that you will recieve a fine if you don’t log every mile and you can’t just put a fuel receipt in now.  I only use my van for business and have a car for personal use, so am i ok to just put fuel receipts in or do I still have to log…

Read more…
8 Replies · Reply by Graham Wright 1 hour ago

Latest blog post

PRO Supplier

Andy Richards, grounds manager at Shrewsbury School, has added to his existing fleet of Dennis mowers after recently purchasing three new Dennis FT510’s and two new G760’s.

Andy has been the grounds manager at the illustrious…

Read more…

Trade green waste centres

If you've received help from the Landscape Juice Network and you'd like to say thank you, why not make a small donation?

The site is maintained as an indpendent industry resource and it's become an essential tool for those working in the landscape industry.

Thank you

Phil Voice

Founder Landscape Juice

Make a donation

LJN Sponsor

PRO Supplier

Andy Richards, grounds manager at Shrewsbury School, has added to his existing fleet of Dennis mowers after recently purchasing three new Dennis FT510’s and two new G760’s.

Andy has been the grounds manager at the illustrious…

Read more…
PRO Supplier

After trialling a range of various wetting agents, Jonathan Smith, Course Manager at Cowdray Park Golf Club, West Sussex, found exactly what he was looking for in Sherriff Amenity’s Aqua-Zorb Liquid.

Golf has been played at Cowdray…

Read more…
PRO Supplier

Javelin Aer-Aid instils an air of confidence

Andy Richards, Grounds Manager at Shrewsbury School, is a firm believer that aeration is one of the most important practices carried out by groundsmen, and this is exactly why he has recently purchased a new SISIS Javelin…

Read more…