And so the madness begins

It's happening. Silly season is starting following reasonable weekend weather (although we could get a knock back this week).

However, we've also noticed the ground temp has risen immensely this week and is now averaging 8+ degrees, which is going to get that grass waking up.

Machines washed, Oil topped up, New blades fitted, Final adjustments made...

Ladies and Gentleman, start your engines.....

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –

• PRO

Out of curiousity i looked up what was going on this time last year.

Wish this weather would do one.  Doesnt look like its going to warm or even dry up much for the next couple of weeks.  Whats everyone doing the next 2 weeks?

• PRO

The work is scheduled in , postponed all jobs last week due to snow here in the north , week before last managed to get a first cut in and things were looking up . Just sitting here now considering position of play regarding next weeks schedule . 

Interesting to compare where we are now compared to Gary's original post last year .

• PRO

Very intresting -- looks like many parts could be a whole month behind last year or even more ! 

I dont really understand this weather spike that is due to huge rises of temp suddenly in the north pole - but many are saying it creates quite a lasting impact -- and presently the met office has some pretty gloomy predictions for the whole of march : 

UK Outlook for Monday 19 Mar 2018 to Monday 2 Apr 2018:

A continuation of rather cold and unsettled conditions seems likely to continue through mid-March, with a risk of further snow at times. The snow will mainly be in the north, with the wettest conditions likely in the south and southwest. It may then stay unsettled and become milder, as westerly or southwesterly winds return. This is likely to bring wetter conditions in the northwest and drier conditions in the southeast. Temperatures will start to recover to near average by the start of April, and it will perhaps be mild at times in the south and southeast.

If this is going to become more normal thats a potential 4 months of the year with heavily reduced working conditions for many. Thats quite some saving to do by the end of the year! 

• PRO

I'm starting my regular mowing schedule from next Monday 12th March. Still a good list of other jobs to do as well. 

• PRO

I am still out gritting every night here but my grass cutting season runs from April to October so still on schedule 

• PRO

For sure a rough winter. Snow melting well near Tamworth today.

Odds and ends tomorrow, we start mowing, scarifying and hollow-tining Tuesday, spring treatments from Mon 12th. 

Have done nicely for new enquires so far with a quick dip with the weather in mind in recent days. I expect the madness to start any day now...

• I managed to cut three of my regular’s lawns before the beast from the east and storm Emma arrived down here in Brighton. But this week looks wet so it’s still a bit tricky knowing what to do. Need to get earning some money! This has been a longer winter than I’d anticipated - my first one as a self employed gardener. It’s really made me reassess how much money I can actually earn over a year. 

• PRO

Just had a look at the posts on this thread from last year and saw that March 4th last year I had already cut all the lawns at least once. 

Well now just 12 months later and I have cut just two as they were desperate. It’s going to be at least a fortnight before I can cut any more providing the weather improves. 

This year is proving to be a bit of a bugger! I hope we see a decent summer as my income has taken a knock this winter. Never had to cancel so many days in one season. 

Oh the joys of self employment!

• PRO

In Brighton last spring we had a drought. I had to postpone planting and seeding jobs because it was so bone dry. Barely any rain March and April! Bit different this year but thankfully fully booked for the next month. I just hope we get some decent weather as I hate working in the wet and slop. 

• There are significant differences between parts of the UK... the soil up here isn't 8 degrees, it's baltic degrees (still hiding under snow). The next week is still only looking like 5 degrees daytime and -1 at night. There are some businesses trying their best to gee up the customers into lawn cuts next week. I run set visits over the year and will happily be doing a bit of garden tidying rather than lawn cuts if they are not required.

Unlike some, I have had more than enough work over this winter though. I got a fair few large hedge and tree jobs come in and I've actually missed the usual feet-up that I'm used to. 

This reply was deleted.

Industry Jobs

Landscape and grounds maintenance operative

Landscape and grounds maintenance operative required for a well established landscaping company based in south wales. Looking for an enthusiastic and well motivated worker who works well as part of a team or on their own.  Must have at least 3 years experience in landscaping/ grounds maintenance and sports ground maintenance and renovation. The roles

Grounds Maintenance Operative

The purpose of the Grounds Maintenance chargehand/team leader position is to carry out a range of duties to support the running of contracts. This will include operating machinery, towing a trailer, grass cutting, hedge cutting and general grounds maintenance duties, able to work on own initiative to complete daily work to a high standard The Grounds Maintenance Team Leader will

Landscape Site Manager

Woodhouse Landscape/Natural pools are a design and build company based near Cambridge We undertake a whole range of diverse projects from small patios to natural swimming pools and lake renovations right across the UK and abroad with a variety of private and business clients. We currently have a vacancy for a Skilled landscaper/site manager to

Landscaper Supervisor/Team Leader

Vibrant individual needed to join quality landscape design and build team in Cornwall. Applicant must have 5+ years experience in the industry, be skilled and competent in a range of hard landscape disciplines, be able to work to a very high standard and have great attention to detail, be able to guide and supervise a

Business Objectives Group (BOG)

Fuel Expenses

I keep reading that you will recieve a fine if you don’t log every mile and you can’t just put a fuel receipt in now.  I only use my van for business and have a car for personal use, so am i ok to just put fuel receipts in or do I still have to log…

Read more…
11 Replies · Reply by Graham Wright 7 hours ago

Latest blog post

PRO Supplier

Andy Richards, grounds manager at Shrewsbury School, has added to his existing fleet of Dennis mowers after recently purchasing three new Dennis FT510’s and two new G760’s.

Andy has been the grounds manager at the illustrious…

Read more…

Trade green waste centres

If you've received help from the Landscape Juice Network and you'd like to say thank you, why not make a small donation?

The site is maintained as an indpendent industry resource and it's become an essential tool for those working in the landscape industry.

Thank you

Phil Voice

Founder Landscape Juice

Make a donation

LJN Sponsor

PRO Supplier

Andy Richards, grounds manager at Shrewsbury School, has added to his existing fleet of Dennis mowers after recently purchasing three new Dennis FT510’s and two new G760’s.

Andy has been the grounds manager at the illustrious…

Read more…
PRO Supplier

After trialling a range of various wetting agents, Jonathan Smith, Course Manager at Cowdray Park Golf Club, West Sussex, found exactly what he was looking for in Sherriff Amenity’s Aqua-Zorb Liquid.

Golf has been played at Cowdray…

Read more…
PRO Supplier

Javelin Aer-Aid instils an air of confidence

Andy Richards, Grounds Manager at Shrewsbury School, is a firm believer that aeration is one of the most important practices carried out by groundsmen, and this is exactly why he has recently purchased a new SISIS Javelin…

Read more…