About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

PRO

A cutionary tale:

"A couple whose “grand design” for the back garden of their £5 million home became a money pit are suing a former close friend over the turmoil.

Recruitment tycoon Peter Burgess and his graphic designer wife, Lynn, blame architectural designer Basia Lejonvarn for the alleged debacle.

They are demanding £265,000 after claiming she was responsible for delays, cost over-runs and defects left by a team of Polish builders at their Highgate home.

Judge Alexander Nissen QC, sitting at the High Court, said the Burgesses and Mrs Lejonvarn were once the best of friends and that the case was “something of a cautionary tale”.

The court heard that the Burgesses wanted to iron out the steep slopes in their garden and install terraces, paths, lawns and mood-lit flower beds. After rejecting a £150,000 quote from an established landscape gardener they turned to Mrs Lejonvarn."

Read the full article: http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/couple-sue-friend-for-265k-after-back-garden-disaster-a3159186.html

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• PRO
    I think these poor people really need a friend to do a job for "mates rates" at their 5 million pound house. It's a shame they don't want to spend a fraction of that on a professional service. I've done"mates rates" jobs before and regretted it, piling work on,and as it's a favour it's hard to say no, that's a separate job and therefore more money, or if I do charge extra it'll be at mates rates again. Then there's their mates that want mates rates, where does it stop? I personally would have felt insulted and explained that professional trades people = professional pay, I bet they didn't earn their money by doing "favours". Their friend has obviously gave them a lower tier service as to keep the cost down(as a favour), which has obviously backfired (who could have seen that coming,eh).
  • PRO

I would either work for a colleague for free to help them out or charge the full price for a job. End of. 

• PRO
      I think that's the best solution.
      I try and avoid any work for friends and neighbours it's not worth it.
  • PRO

Jobs for friends or as a contract, always write a few terms and conditions.

If working a for friends then an email, right at the start, with some basic conditions laying out terms of engagement will ensure that you don't get caught out.

Even if written in a friendly way, an email will help settle any dispute at a later date.

This reply was deleted.

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

PRO Supplier

Agrovista Amenity is excited to announce that it will be continuing its partnership with national environmental charity The Tree Council, pledging to sponsor the planting of more than a thousand trees. The trees will be planted over the next…

Read more…