Forum

PRO

Working near roads and footpaths

Hi all

I have a potential job lined up which involves removing a tall hedge on a bank which slopes down to a roadside path. The path doesn't see heavy foot traffic but I'd like to know if there are any specific legal requirements when working in these kind of areas,aside from the usual risk assessment and standard H&S procedures? Would I be expected to/allowed to close the path or would having someone on the path to keep watch be sufficient?

Thanks

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• PRO

You will need a NRSWA (Street Works 1991) card. Unit 2. It's part of a 5 day course. Unit 2 is one day.

Unit 2 is for setting up and directing traffic or pedestrians on roads up to 60mph.

Hope this helps.

• PRO

Out of interest Craig do you know if there are any special requirements required when trimming hedges next to bus stops , essentially light trimming ? thanks 

• PRO

Sorry John, I don't know about special requirements for anything like that.

I only knew the answer to the OP's question, as I've done the course myself. 

• PRO

Thanks Craig , Reason i ask is i cut a long beech hedge annually by which time it is encroaching onto a public footpath next to a 30 mph road and the hedge engulfs a bus stop .  Its not a busy footpath and the bus stop is mostly used by school children so i plan the work at half term ( Aug /Sept ) so no school children about and even so i cut the bus stop hedge area according to the bus timetable when no one is boarding or alighting . 

However the bus stop area is on a blind bend where pedestrians are concerned so last year i put some danger men at work signs on the corner but not on the footpath itself .  I noticed a resident who was looking very irate , his body language speaking volumes , pacing , hands on hips ,glaring . It's a very well to do suburb and i thought my presence was perhaps making the place look untidy or he was just a busy body who perhaps thought i was breaking some law .

It was a days work but done very carefully and efficiently but when i was almost done i noticed a very smart environmental agency vehicle parked on the road , no contact was made and i have had no comebacks , it could have being a complete coincidence but it has crossed my mind about working near bus stops and does it incur extra liability or preparation .

• PRO

If you contact the Highways Department at your local council, they will advise accordingly. Anything on a 30mph B or C road is local council.

From experience, as long as pedestrians can pass with prams, wheelchairs etc.. without going into the road, you'll be fine. 

I would say the Environmental Agency vehicle being around was just coincidence. 

• The best option is to use a separate company to undertake your traffic management. Get them to quote it for you and then have them man it etc. then if anything is wrong the buck stops at them! 

• PRO

Thanks for the replies on this.It's appreciated.

Servizi tecnici immobiliari
    Consulenza tecnica di architettura ed ingegneria per progettazione, ristrutturazione di immobili, pratiche edilizie, perizie. Investimenti, valorizza…
This reply was deleted.

Landscape industry Jobs

Experience Gardener

Employer: The Botanical Gardener

Job Type: Full Time

EXPERIENCED GARDENER  The Botanical Gardener is a rapidly growing, well respected, Design & Build, Garden Maintenance &… Continue

Yard Foreman (Nursery)

Employer: Palmbrokers

Job Type: Full Time

Yard foreman Full time yard foreman required to join our team at our busy and unique 7 acre nursery at farnham royal in berkshire… Continue

Latest blog post

Trade green waste centres

Start a landscaping business

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Technical landscaping books

Blogs