Forum

Winter

Morning guys, sorry to bring the subject of winter up when we are in the middle of summer! I was just wondering how much of it people tend to work for? I saw somewhere somebody said as a rough guide to base pricing on 46 weeks of the year but that included holiday. I realise the weather is all over the shop these days and winters can vary quite dramatically. Im thinking by the end of November there isn't going to be much to do and there probably won't be until the end of January at least. Is it possible to get maintenance jobs where the client pays the same monthly fee even in December based on there being above average workloads at peak times of the year? i.e. you guarantee a certain amount of visits per year and you divide the annual fee into 12 equal payments like paying direct debit for gas etc? Or is that likely to be a hard sell with a lot of customers?

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• PRO
          Not at all, I just believe that it's harder to put your prices up once you actually start with a client, i can not run my business earning £20 per hour, if you can than that's great...;-)
        • PRO

Easily accessible stats suggest the average cost for a Gardener in NW London is £29/hr, West London £25hr and UK average cost is just under £25/hr. So, it shows what can be achieved? Perhaps there are better clients out there if one looks for them ?

Would be interesting to see what Get A Gardener reckon the costs are from their data ?

• PRO

Most customers seem to like an hourly breakdown , Here some charge £20 per hour but offer two gardeners for this price . 

• PRO
          Same here!
  • I visit fortnightly March-November, then monthly December-February. Throughout the year I make a note of any one off jobs that I can possibly do through the 3 Winter months in addition to the normal monthly visit and then suggest those to the customer. Usually I have enough one off jobs to make up the short fall in maintenance money so earn pretty much about the same all year round. 

• I like that idea!
    • PRO
      I'm in the work hard spring summer and autumn and as little as possible in winter gang(if there is such a thing!
      • PRO

There is indeed such a gang and I try and be very much a part of it! In fact,have already booked 6 weeks away starting on Christmas Eve!

• PRO
          Yeah I'm in the gang too. Roll on November, I have personal projects to get done.
  • PRO

I  think about winter in summer , I try to put some jobs off until winter to give myself an income stream .  I might spot a fence which needs attention in summer but suggest i can do the work in winter .  

I add a winter tidy up service in my advertisement in a local publication and they are really good at reminding me winter is approaching .   Jobs from this include pruning an overgrown wisteria , planting a laurel hedge , clearing leaves off lawns . clearing bramble next to garages .

In my first year i was not very organised and considered delivering parcels , I was told lots of gardeners pack up in October and deliver parcels until  spring but i had no actual evidence but i suppose it's feasible . 

Try estate agents or suggest work you spot that needs doing like untidy hedges to estate agents , often it needs doing but overlooked . 

Once you establish your round you can suggest jobs to your customers .

This reply was deleted.

Landscape industry Jobs

Landscape Construction Manager

Job Summary We are an established garden design and build company looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Landscape Construction Manager. This is a hands-on role which involves building high end garden designs and overseeing the on site team.… Continue

Apprentice Landscape Gardeners

The Outdoor Room is a multi award winning garden design and construction company.  We are passionate about designing, creating and caring for beautiful gardens and landscapes.  Our knowledgeable, experienced and creative team offers a professional,… Continue

Skilled hard Landscaper

We require an experienced and well-presented landscaper capable of leading a small team. They must have at least 3 years’ experience in a broad range of hard and soft landscaping including paving, decking, groundworks, brick and blockwork,… Continue

Garden Maintenance Operative

The Outdoor Room is a multi award winning garden design and construction company.  We are passionate about designing, creating and caring for beautiful gardens and landscapes.  Our knowledgeable, experienced and creative team offers a professional,… Continue

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Blogs