Forum

Which 21" lawnmower?

Hi all, looking for advice on the best/most reliable pedestrian lawnmower with a 21" cut and large grass box, preferably 70+ litres. Searching online there are so many for commercial gardeners. I'm a one man garden maintenance business with a few large lawns to cut so it's not a machine used all day every day. I have a 19" mower at the moment but struggling with damp or wet grass and would like to shave a bit off mowing time. I read to avoid the 3 in 1 mowers but most seem to offer this, the online advice saying mowers which collect or mulch only do a better job. I've looked at Honda but wondered what other gardeners used or recommended through regular use over a period of a few years. Online reviews aren't always great, some reviewing models used a couple of weeks or call me cynical but wonder how many manufacturers write reviews! Would be grateful for some guidance on this so I'm not wasting my money. Thanks.

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• PRO
    Loving my new Weibang pro 48, reminds me of the good old days with Hayter, I'd go Etesia route personally but that may be out of your budget, take a look at the 4 wheeled Vikings or Weibangs for sure...
    • Thanks! Looking at these the engines seem to be B&S in my price range, durability seems the key for the dearer mowers.
      • PRO

I went for a Toro recycler  it's Still going strong after Three years , Had the odd issue with personal pace mechanism but it was due to my mishandling . I spent years cutting grass as an employee usually on ride on cylinder mowers , The only rotary machine we had was a Honda which was bullet proof apart from needing the drive belt changing regularly and needing Two new gear boxes in Twelve years it was a great little machine . 

The choice is overwhelming and increasing , depends on your budget to some extent and your level of grass cutting requirement , are you cutting prestigious fine lawns or moss ridden back yards , commercial premises or manicured suburban lawns ? , paddocks , orchards ?. mulching or boxing off .? 

You will inevitably face wet and damp grass , Many say the Viking is a good choice and a good all rounder . 

It's a good idea if you can stretch to a back up mower also at your user level in case of any breakdowns so you can keep on earning .

• Thanks. Yes, an overwhelming choice! The lawns are all along the South Wales coast, exposed sites with a mixture of grasses, quite tough as well in places so no pristine lawns, customers just wanting a tidy cut with grass collected. I might go for the cheaper option as its not used every day. I've come to the conclusion that I could spend a £1000 on a mower which lasts 10 years or buy something cheaper and possibly replace in 5 years if needed and buy the equivalent to replace and still spending less than a heavy duty commercial. Most of my work is border work so perhaps I was going a little over the top. My current mower would be my backup as I can see it lasting another 3 years with care.
          • PRO

Very similar to my requirements from a mower , I don't do much grass cutting and when i do the requirement is simply for short grass , not striped , even the longest and best lawn is managed with the Toro or a Honda izy . Obviously a small mower will have grass height limitations in which case i usually strim first then work down the setting heights of the mower and without cutting too short initially so it doesn't stress the grass . 

My Toro is TX 159 GTS automatic and reliable, keep the blade sharp and it does a decent job  . I like to carry a light domestic mower also for not easy to access small gardens and they do a nice enough job on small lawns for which they are designed .

• The Weibang ASD would be worth a look!

53cm Cutting width Shaft driven so no belt issues to worry about! 3 Speed variable too. Fantastic collection on the machine too. I work for the importer for these so I may sound very keen. I did also work as a gardener for over 5 years so I know what you guys need from a mower. It would be at the top end of your budget at £949 but it would give you the professional warranty and build quality your after!

https://weibang.uk.com/index.php/products/virtue-4-wheeled-rotary-m...

I hope you don't mind me giving a suggestion and I hope you find the right machine for you!

• PRO
      The Weibang ASD does not have a blade brake clutch, so will you end up stopping and starting the machine eighty odd times a day?

Andy
      • Hi Andy

There is in fact a new model this year that has a BBC on the Weibang ASD.

Thanks

Gary

• We have no complaints with our Hayter 56Pro. If you are doing private gardens and/or prestige commercial, you need a roller mower for the best effect. 

• you say that aren't bothered a out stripes .. but quite frankly that would change if they had them .. only one mower in my opinion Hayter 56 pro . been doing maintenance 26 years used most . but wouldn't use anything else now
This reply was deleted.

Landscape industry Jobs

Experienced Grounds Maintence operative

Employer: IH MOWING LTD

Job Type: Full Time

An opportunity to join an expanding Grounds Maintenance Company based in Warwickshire. The ideal candidate will have experience and Knowledge of… Continue

Skilled Landscaper

Employer: Abbeyfield Landscapes

Job Type: Full Time

Abbeyfield Landscapes is a Southwest Landscaping and ground maintenance company and we are looking for a dedicated landscaper to… Continue

Latest blog post

Trade green waste centres

Start a landscaping business

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Technical landscaping books

Blogs

PRO

Topdressing grass verges

HiI have a client who wants his existing grass verges raised and 'levelled' by approximately 25mm. He's had new steel edgings installed and wants to bring the verges up to the top of the edgings by topsoiling over the existing grass. What is the…
Read more…
Comments: 0