Forum

PRO

Victoria Plum problem

Hi Guys,

At the start of the year I planted a Victoria plum, purchased from my local trade garden centre. Now 4 and a bit months on the customer has written saying that they believe there is a problem with the tree. They are not seeking any recourse action, just after my opinion of what is the problem.

To tell you the truth, tree diseases are not my strong point and after looking at various sites on the net, I am still at a loss. So why not try the good and varied knowledge on this forum. I have attached a couple of photos that were sent to me. The customer is based on the coast if Fife, ground condition are fine, well drained soil, garden is south west facing. Climate this year has been poor, like most, a roasting April and May, with a very wet June and July with mid temperatures. The plant itself, I am told has three plums on it.

DSC_0025.JPGDSC_0031.JPG

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• PRO Supplier

From the yellowing between the veins and the browning on the edges, I would say it's a potassium (K) deficiency.

Using a liquid feed that is high in K would be great. Alternatively, landscape/garden suppliers should stock a "tree and shrub" fertiliser that can be used.

• PRO Supplier

Interveinal chlorosis is normally a deficiency as others have said. Deficiency can be caused by a number of factors; comapction, drought which affect the pH - this in turn affects the availability of nutrients.

Two main causes - iron or manganese deficiency. Iron deficiency starts on young leaves, round the edges and works inward, Manganese/ Zinc starts on older leaves in the middle and works outward. Looks like Iron to me ? Iron needs slightly acidic soil so a foliar/ root feed coupled with a quick pH check....

• PRO

I'm also in Scotland John - Edinburgh -  Garden Solutions do top notch mulches & fertilisers including a special winter mulch which has added calcified seaweed. That'll sort out any mineral deficiencies. 

• PRO
    Saying as we're on plum problems, I have a customer with a similar problem except the leaves on her tree are very curly and malformed. The tree has next to no plums on it this year but I think this may just be a Scottish climate thing!
    She has perennial plants around the base of her tree that keep it damp but unfed to my non-fruit tree expert eye - any ideas? Thanks, sorry for gate crashing your thread John!
    • PRO

Not a problem, thanks to all the expert advise, my customer is happy and so am I. Thank you all.

John S

• PRO

have you checked for pest signs / damage ? Curly leaves can sometimes be pest problems rather than nutrient problems ? although obviously nutrient problems and unhappy plants often leads to increased pest problems 

• PRO

Curly leaves are usually down to an aphid attack earlier in the year probably in Spring.

• PRO

Out of Interest it seems to be a cracking year for plums and greengages here in Yorkshire so far .   The Northern Fruit Group is a good source of information .

This reply was deleted.

Landscape industry Jobs

Landscape Operative

Additional landscape operatives required by commercial soft landscape contractor based in Crondall for immediate start. Landscape CSCS/CPCS preferable but not essential as full training given. Competitive salary and advancement opportunities for the… Continue

Junior Gardener

JOB BACKGROUND: Do you have high standards?  Are you able to commit to a role and work hard to maintain those high standards?  Are you keen to start a career in the horticultural industry with a company that will support and train you? Our Junior… Continue

Landscaper

Countryside Services is expanding – we have an increasing amount of bespoke, designed gardens on our books and need new staff. Your commitment to us: to be enthusiastically hard working (in all weathers), keen to learn and prepared to work long… Continue

Gardener

Our client is a successful family business with clients in both the residential and commercial sectors. They are now ready for the business’s next stage of expansion. They really are passionate about gardening and landscaping, providing a vast range… Continue

Latest blog post

PRO Supplier

ICL paves the way for more games at Pride Park Stadium

Nathan Scarff, Head Groundsman at Derby County FC, has revealed that a range of ICL products have helped him achieve his main target of hosting more games at Pride Park Stadium without compromising on the quality of the pitch.

Nathan…

Read more…

Trade green waste centres

Start a landscaping business

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Technical landscaping books

Blogs

PRO Supplier

ICL paves the way for more games at Pride Park Stadium

Nathan Scarff, Head Groundsman at Derby County FC, has revealed that a range of ICL products have helped him achieve his main target of hosting more games at Pride Park Stadium without compromising on the quality of the pitch.

Nathan…

Read more…
PRO Supplier

After being selected as the official mower at the two most recent FIFA World Cup’s in South Africa and Brazil, Dennis Mowers will be the mower of choice for the 2018 tournament in Russia.

The Dennis G860 cylinder mower will have the task…

Read more…