Forum

PRO

VAT threshold to be lowered ?

I've long believed that the VAT threshold should be lowered or abolished to provide every business a level playing field, to reduce cash-no-vat transactions, encourage growth and generate additional tax revenue. It's a subject much discussed on LJN in the past.

The Government's OTS has just published its first review of VAT thresholds, hence are actively considering options to simplify the already complex VAT area.

Various financial pundits are suggesting a reduction to £26K or even £20K could be on the cards, with some even hoping for a £0 threshold (unlikely, I'd suggest).

The FSB produced a White Paper some time ago and are expected to review its recommendations for the SME sector to the Government.

So, it's a "watch this space" situation for now............

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• PRO
    A warning for those swanning around in brand new 4x4 double cab pickups and VW vans with all the camping gear on at the weekend.

Paradise Papers: F1 champion Lewis Hamilton 'dodged' VAT on £16.5m private jet
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41886607
    Lewis Hamilton 'dodged' VAT on private jet
    F1 champion received a £3.3m refund after importing the red Challenger 605 into the Isle of Man.
    • PRO
      What exactly is wrong with “swanning around in a pickup at the weekend?”
      F1 champion received a £3.3m refund after importing the red Challenger 605 into the Isle of Man.
      • PRO

Is there anything wrong with Lewis swanning around in the jet at the weekend?

• PRO

If it’s found he, or his advisors, broke the law then he deserves all the penalties, jail tc relevant.

If he, or his advisors, found legal loopholes then good luck and all the whinging should stop. Too much
          green eyed jealousy.

How the government can moan is beyond me - they created the rules.

Answer?  simplify the 13m of tax manuals into a set of black & white rules that can be easily interpreted and applies to all.

• PRO
          Personally I couldn’t care less if he flys around all week in it as well!
          You’ve not answered my question though!
          • PRO

I think the point is you're not allowed to claim all the vat back as a business expense if you use it 50% of the time for pleasure. 

There goes my Superbike for doing quotes on! 

• I have been giving this alot of thought and I agree with Dans comments regarding an increase in the cash element thus blowing lots of us out of the water.  I was talking to a builder about this and their look of concern as they realised their subby's wage bill was about to go up by 20% was interesting.  But i suspect the government are going after all these so called consultants that work for multinational companies but are really only paying a minimal amount of tax but also lots less NI!  Its just the rest of us have to suffer!

Unless its a bid to rid the country of sole traders?  Do the government want us to all work for a company and they can keep a better eye on us? Certainly cash is not the way forward. 

• PRO

The OTS’s finale report hads been released ( all 85 pages ) and makes interesting reading.

It identifies all the issues faced by businesses under the various options they have identified.

The Govermnent now needs to digest the final report with all the pros & cons and decide a way forward.

Interesting times for SMEs 

• PRO

anyone hazard a guess as to percentage of Landscape Juice members VAT and non VAT registered ?

• PRO
    Ben, VAT is a very clever tax, the builder would reclaim the VAT the subbies invoice, then recharge on the customers invoice. That means the tax is added onto the added value of the subbies work.

At each transaction VAT is reclaimed on the supply then added to the final invoice, so there is an incremental increase in the VAT.

If the VAT was not reclaimed the tax would compound and the final invoice could be for an astronomical amount, the economy and the country would collapse under the tax burden.

Andy
This reply was deleted.

Landscape industry Jobs

Landscape Construction Manager

Job Summary We are an established garden design and build company looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Landscape Construction Manager. This is a hands-on role which involves building high end garden designs and overseeing the on site team.… Continue

Apprentice Landscape Gardeners

The Outdoor Room is a multi award winning garden design and construction company.  We are passionate about designing, creating and caring for beautiful gardens and landscapes.  Our knowledgeable, experienced and creative team offers a professional,… Continue

Skilled hard Landscaper

We require an experienced and well-presented landscaper capable of leading a small team. They must have at least 3 years’ experience in a broad range of hard and soft landscaping including paving, decking, groundworks, brick and blockwork,… Continue

Garden Maintenance Operative

The Outdoor Room is a multi award winning garden design and construction company.  We are passionate about designing, creating and caring for beautiful gardens and landscapes.  Our knowledgeable, experienced and creative team offers a professional,… Continue

Latest blog post

Trade green waste centres

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Blogs

PRO Supplier

New York Red Bulls Praise SISIS Osca

Dan Shemesh, Director of Stadium and Training Grounds for the New York Red Bulls has praised the SISIS Osca 3 which maintains the synthetic turf on one of the club’s training fields.

When Dan Shemesh was looking for a machine that…

Read more…