Forum

PRO

Trouble with newly laid lawn

Laid a new lawn for somebody about 4 months ago and it's really struggling to be honest and I don't know why as this has never happened before.

We lifted the old lawn and then rotavated the ground,there was plenty of what appeared to be good top soil in situ so brought in rolls of quality turf from a trusted local supplier. I gave the client instructions to give it plenty of water and to only start mowing it lightly once it had become established. A few weeks later they sent me images of the lawn looking dry,brown and worse for wear. From what the client explained to me I realized he'd hit it hard with the mower so I advised them to ease right off with the mowing and to keep it watered regularly as it was a dry spring.

I didn't hear anything until a couple of days ago when they sent me some more pictures of the lawn looking in even worse shape. Please see images below. They have assured me the lawn has been watered regularly and I have no reason to not believe this is the case but I've never had an issue like this before. I can't help feeling the lawn hasn't recovered since being stressed out after being butchered down in it's infancy? What else might it be? Disease perhaps?

Can this be rectified do you think ?

Thanks

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I always specify watering in time, say half an hour on each section and specify how many sections based on size of lawn, plus always push the use of a good sprinkler over hand watering
  • Never trust a customer to water!! We water until it's rooted and first cut and then it's down to the customer and no come-backs. Was caught out exactly as Steven has been many years ago.  Never again.

• It also looks like you've cut the turves short, or is that the effect of the camera lens? Normally turves are really quite long, which help to reduce the number of joints you have, then you brush the lawn soil over the top to fill the joints. None of the other people have commented on filling the joints with light lawn soil. 

I had a client once, whose lawn I was thankfully not responsible for, who thought that scalping the lawn as low as possible with the mower was the best way to get a fantastic looking lawn. I tried to advise him not to. Then he added insult to injury by throwing so much fertiliser down he had huge white patches where the fertiliser had burnt it. Did you ask this client about whether they'd decided to fertilise the lawn as well as giving it too little water and cutting it too low? Some people really do have no idea, and the chap who said sign off only after it's established and the professional has done the first cut seems to have a good approach. This isn't a huge lawn but all turf-laying jobs require a huge effort really (and a fair bit of time) to level ground and lay it correctly.

• that's the size turf is cut now with modern cutters 1m2 but I do stagger joints when laying and butt them up tightly so no need to add soil to the joints

This reply was deleted.

Landscape industry Jobs

Landscape Construction Manager

Job Summary We are an established garden design and build company looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Landscape Construction Manager. This is a hands-on role which involves building high end garden designs and overseeing the on site team.… Continue

Apprentice Landscape Gardeners

The Outdoor Room is a multi award winning garden design and construction company.  We are passionate about designing, creating and caring for beautiful gardens and landscapes.  Our knowledgeable, experienced and creative team offers a professional,… Continue

Skilled hard Landscaper

We require an experienced and well-presented landscaper capable of leading a small team. They must have at least 3 years’ experience in a broad range of hard and soft landscaping including paving, decking, groundworks, brick and blockwork,… Continue

Garden Maintenance Operative

The Outdoor Room is a multi award winning garden design and construction company.  We are passionate about designing, creating and caring for beautiful gardens and landscapes.  Our knowledgeable, experienced and creative team offers a professional,… Continue

Latest blog post

Trade green waste centres

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Blogs

PRO Supplier

New York Red Bulls Praise SISIS Osca

Dan Shemesh, Director of Stadium and Training Grounds for the New York Red Bulls has praised the SISIS Osca 3 which maintains the synthetic turf on one of the club’s training fields.

When Dan Shemesh was looking for a machine that…

Read more…