Forum

Replies

• Hi Peter
    had the same thoughts at 65. Can't remember the actual reasons but know that I considered all aspects of my financial situation plus the fact that I intended to carry on working for as long as I wanted.
    Now 68 and still have 70 plus lawn cuts, don't work Fridays now, on the orders of the boss, ha ha
    If I remember rightly ( just been thinking about it) I don't believe it actually made it worth while to defer your pension unless you lived into your eighties. So it's a gamble and I decided for the suposed eventual benefit it just wasn't worth it.
    Hope this helps.
    • hello thanks for this, yes this had helped, I know it will be taxed, to me and has been for many years, its unfair for pensions to be taxed considering the money pot has been taxed, but hey that's the way isn't it, thanks again

peter

• PRO
        The pension pot hasn't been taxed though. You've paid in your contributions and you only get income tax on the rest if that makes sense? So it should be taxable imo
    • also am I right in saying that the national insurance contributions stop when we reach 65, hope so

• Take the money and enjoy it whilst you have good health!!

• yeah I am thinking about that, you never know whats coming along in life, good job I guess

• Very true and if as Gordon says, it's only worth while if you make it to your eighties, the carehome/social services will then just grab all the dosh!! 

• you will get 1% for every 9 weeks you defer it just under £500 for a full year

I would claim it now as you do not know what will happen to it further down the line like it was changed a couple of years ago  

I think at the moment they are thinking of ideas of how to cut the state pension

retire now  and enjoy the rest of your life ( before you need a hip replacement with a Waite of 6-12 months ) hope you never need one  

• another way of looking at it, is would you get this amount of interest if you put the pension into a savings account, the answer I guess is probably no, this is my problem, I would like to  take it, and still work, thinking of sitting in a corner and rotting away is not for me, could I ask what others are doing with the money, if that's not too personal

• PRO
    Possibly a stupid question, and retiring is years off for me, but can you continue to work (if you feel up to it) and claim your state pension at the same time? Or is it a case of when you retire you HAVE to stop working? Many thanks Harry
This reply was deleted.

Landscape industry Jobs

Landscape Construction Manager

Job Summary We are an established garden design and build company looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Landscape Construction Manager. This is a hands-on role which involves building high end garden designs and overseeing the on site team.… Continue

Apprentice Landscape Gardeners

The Outdoor Room is a multi award winning garden design and construction company.  We are passionate about designing, creating and caring for beautiful gardens and landscapes.  Our knowledgeable, experienced and creative team offers a professional,… Continue

Skilled hard Landscaper

We require an experienced and well-presented landscaper capable of leading a small team. They must have at least 3 years’ experience in a broad range of hard and soft landscaping including paving, decking, groundworks, brick and blockwork,… Continue

Garden Maintenance Operative

The Outdoor Room is a multi award winning garden design and construction company.  We are passionate about designing, creating and caring for beautiful gardens and landscapes.  Our knowledgeable, experienced and creative team offers a professional,… Continue

Latest blog post

Trade green waste centres

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Blogs

PRO Supplier

New York Red Bulls Praise SISIS Osca

Dan Shemesh, Director of Stadium and Training Grounds for the New York Red Bulls has praised the SISIS Osca 3 which maintains the synthetic turf on one of the club’s training fields.

When Dan Shemesh was looking for a machine that…

Read more…