Forum

time for a new mower

I have been battling with a 17'' domestic webb for the past 3 years. It's not great at all, if the grass is a bit long and damp the chute gets blocked so easily. I know this happens to most mowers but I'm sure this is worse than most! even if it isn't getting blocked the grass can be left in a thin line along the edge of the deck where I'm cutting. I do approx 10 - 15 hours of cutting a week and am now going to spend between £1000 and £1500 on a new machine. Reading on this site I'm planning on a Honda 536QX or the Kaaz LM5360HXAR. My main requirements are a very wide rear roller. I'm sorry this conversation is always discussed but I need advice. Either one of these or any other suggestions. Also when to buy, now or Spring? 

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• PRO

Agree, The clutch parts are easily replaceable too.

Fan assist seems to make the biggest difference as to how well a mower picks up. I've mown meadows with a Lawnflite 533 Pro.

• PRO
        I've had one seize up on me and have repaired plenty on the past.
        • PRO
          Fair enough. How old out of interest? I don't use machines much past 3 years as they get replaced and kept as spares and or machines to rip down for parts as I don't change brands and machines so unless they have a major upgrade the bits stay fairly similar.
          • PRO
            It was 7 years old to be fair and I didn't buy it new so who knows what it's maintenance was like.

Im going to replace mine every three years if possible now.
    • PRO
      It's a fair cop guv but I think K that's Weibang erring on the side of caution rather than the BBC itself, plenty of other BBC machines can collect grass.
      • My kaaz really is a good machine in wet grass...sped up the engine, hi lift blade and weekly bag cleaning. I usually have to grunt to lift the bag it's that full of wet clippings.
  • After going full circle, at the moment I'm thinking the Kaaz, it is wide, has the bbc, also the fan, it's fast. It seems to be the mower with most of the important features. If anyone reading this has the hs version can they tell me if the speed is adjustable? Thank you to all that took the time to give me their thoughts:)

• PRO

The high speed is a single speed like the "standard" speed mower. Can be adjusted slightly with revs of the engine but its not a vari speed .

• PRO

We have both and the newer model is subtly faster which makes it more usable and productive, but suggest the taller you are the less difference you'll see (due to natural walking speed)... and yes as Seth suggests speed is fractionally adjustable via increasing revs.

• There's a video on you tube, see here: https://youtu.be/LJurWQTqPO8

Seems to show quite a big variation in speed, I'm just thinking if the user is a bit tired by the end of the day they can slow their mowing down :)
This reply was deleted.

Landscape industry Jobs

Landscape Operative

Additional landscape operatives required by commercial soft landscape contractor based in Crondall for immediate start. Landscape CSCS/CPCS preferable but not essential as full training given. Competitive salary and advancement opportunities for the… Continue

Junior Gardener

JOB BACKGROUND: Do you have high standards?  Are you able to commit to a role and work hard to maintain those high standards?  Are you keen to start a career in the horticultural industry with a company that will support and train you? Our Junior… Continue

Landscaper

Countryside Services is expanding – we have an increasing amount of bespoke, designed gardens on our books and need new staff. Your commitment to us: to be enthusiastically hard working (in all weathers), keen to learn and prepared to work long… Continue

Gardener

Our client is a successful family business with clients in both the residential and commercial sectors. They are now ready for the business’s next stage of expansion. They really are passionate about gardening and landscaping, providing a vast range… Continue

Latest blog post

PRO Supplier

ICL paves the way for more games at Pride Park Stadium

Nathan Scarff, Head Groundsman at Derby County FC, has revealed that a range of ICL products have helped him achieve his main target of hosting more games at Pride Park Stadium without compromising on the quality of the pitch.

Nathan…

Read more…

Trade green waste centres

Start a landscaping business

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Technical landscaping books

Blogs

PRO Supplier

ICL paves the way for more games at Pride Park Stadium

Nathan Scarff, Head Groundsman at Derby County FC, has revealed that a range of ICL products have helped him achieve his main target of hosting more games at Pride Park Stadium without compromising on the quality of the pitch.

Nathan…

Read more…
PRO Supplier

After being selected as the official mower at the two most recent FIFA World Cup’s in South Africa and Brazil, Dennis Mowers will be the mower of choice for the 2018 tournament in Russia.

The Dennis G860 cylinder mower will have the task…

Read more…