Forum

Timber risers for compacted gravel steps.

A question for the landscapers out there. A fairly large garden that I maintain was landscaped five years ago and includes some self binding gravel paths and a lot of steps. I believe it is oak that was used as the retainers/risers and would have expected these to have lasted quite a number of years. However they are already falling apart (not helped by the inadequate screws) and a lot of them are rotting off. Should Oak not last a lot longer than that ?

So now some repair work is necessary I am wondering what you would use and if there is anything else that can be done to help preserve them, the owners really don't want to have to replace them every five years, there's probably about 120 of them. I will try and add a photo of the problem. I'm not going to be doing the job myself but want to know that it is carried out properly, a few steps have been replaced recently with tanalised pine and I'm pretty sure this is not the answer.

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Tanalised/treated timber should be the way to go it should last at least ten years.
  • oak can rot very quickly. depends on the situations its in. if its free draining you will get a longer life but if its in damp saturated ground it can rot pretty quickly

• PRO
    Tantalised softwood timber will only be OK if it treated to class 4.

You need to ask the merchants before you buy - don't assume that all tantalised timber is the same! And don't be surprised if the merchants don't know what class their timber is treated to.
    John
    • PRO

The so called tanalised timber you can buy in the diy sheds would be totally unsuitable for this purpose so i would avoid this source of timber .

I have a habit of treating even the tanalised timber i buy from the timber merchant especially any sawn ends i just paint it with creosote or a substitute and let it dry especially if its making contact with the soil . 

I can't seem to find the same quality of hardwood tanalised timber as i did previously , It's annoying when they deliver lengths of useless split and bowing timber , well worth the time spent going and picking out your own material .

The timber used to come with a fifteen year guarantee but not so much now . 

I have a client requesting some raised vegetable beds constructed from untreated sleepers I can't see them lasting ,one can only advise and i wouldn't guarantee the  life span of any timber used .

• So UC4 tanalised timber is the way to go, that is great, many thanks for the replies.

• PRO

A very good resource , Thanks for posting this link Gary 

This reply was deleted.

Landscape industry Jobs

Apprentice Landscape Gardeners

The Outdoor Room is a multi award winning garden design and construction company.  We are passionate about designing, creating and caring for beautiful gardens and landscapes.  Our knowledgeable, experienced and creative team offers a professional,… Continue

Skilled hard Landscaper

We require an experienced and well-presented landscaper capable of leading a small team. They must have at least 3 years’ experience in a broad range of hard and soft landscaping including paving, decking, groundworks, brick and blockwork,… Continue

Garden Maintenance Operative

The Outdoor Room is a multi award winning garden design and construction company.  We are passionate about designing, creating and caring for beautiful gardens and landscapes.  Our knowledgeable, experienced and creative team offers a professional,… Continue

Skilled Landscape Gardener

The Outdoor Room is a multi award winning garden design and construction company.  We are passionate about designing, creating and caring for beautiful gardens and landscapes.  Our knowledgeable, experienced and creative team offers a professional,… Continue

Latest blog post

Trade green waste centres

Start a landscaping business

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Technical landscaping books

Blogs