About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

The right soakaway for the 180sqm garden

We having problems with one of our client gardens. I know is very wet year, but it have to be solution for that. I am trying to find out the best way to install the soakaway in the back garden for our client. It lots of options, but I am not trust them. Were is anyone can help me to find out the best soakaway for the 180sqm lawn. As at the moment is like a swimming poll.

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• with the wet weather the water table has risen right up to the surface (in my neck of the woods)so a soak away will not make any deference, to see if it will work you dig a test hole 1MT3  with a further hole in the bottom and fill with a measured amount of water (lts) and time how long it takes to soak away. calculate the surface area and multiply it by 50 mm )the rain falling on the lawn) that will give you the total amount of water per hour that has to drain into the soakaway calculate that against the time it takes to soak away the measured amount will give you the size of hole you will need

• It will depend on the condition of the soil underneath. If it is clay based and sticks together, then it will retain water in normal conditions, never mind the conditions of this winter.

I had the same problem with one of my customers. Dig a hole 4ft x 4ft wide, down a depth of at least 4 - 5ft. This is hard work and watch out for pipes and cables. Refill with type 1 and sand alternatively. Use a compactor to compact it. In the last 8 inches, I used grave and sand with weed control fabric.

That was two years ago, has not flooded since, not even this year.

Good Luck.

• I've recently run into the exact same problem. I've performed the percolation test as described in the other replies. Just wondering how to calculate how many soakaway crates I will need?

I was looking at the soakaway crate sets that are available, normally sold in 1, 1.5 or 2m sets. Would this be ok for a small 150sqm lawn?

Like the sets here https://www.easymerchant.co.uk/soakaway-crates/

Thanks in advance

Buy Soakaway Crates at Cheap Prices | On Sale at EasyMerchant UK
    Buy Cheap Soakaway Crates (Attenuation Cells) If you’re in need of a product not available to order from our website please use our chat feature and…
This reply was deleted.

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

PRO Supplier

Agrovista Amenity is excited to announce that it will be continuing its partnership with national environmental charity The Tree Council, pledging to sponsor the planting of more than a thousand trees. The trees will be planted over the next…

Read more…