Forum

PRO

Storm Doris

Well I have the first harvest from last week's storm.... Its a small estate house with a 6' close board fence - supported on 6" posts concreted in - it is a proper fence. Trouble is the storm broke the rotten posts at the ground, it was being supported by large shrubs either side. I have put in a temporary repair today by installing 45 degree braces against the broken posts (using new 2.1M posts fixed to stakes. 

The client is not rich, but she is a loyal lady who has kept thinking of work for me every week come rain or shine - As all the wood not touching the ground is in A1 condition it seems unfair to scrap the whole fence.

I was going to put in a concrete repair spurs on the 4 broken posts.... but there is a massive amount of concrete around the base of each post - but not enough to mount a Metpost on, so even with a kango it is not going to be that quick a job, even if it is possible. The only thing I can come up with is bracing it with new posts at 60 deg, basically tidying up what I have done today - then growing clematis or roses up them. 

Does anyone have any other ideas??

Thanks

Adam

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• PRO

Certainly looks as if its something to try out, thank you Ross... and thank you everyone else.

Now all we need is a drier week than it was last week!

Adam

• PRO

It would be good to know which system you use and how you get on.

Cheers,

Ross

• PRO

Well today I repaired the fence that started this thread... when I got to the side that needed the repair (the previously unseen neighbours garden) it was full of 6' - 8' shrubs all along the border, most of the posts were simply inaccessible without significant surgery to shrubs that I was not allowed to touch (though they needed a dammed good prune).

I had taken concrete repair spurs, but ended up using the mid post idea - all went fine, other than the fact the soil was about 4" thick, then it was solid chalk.

I am going to buy a few of the post buddy post repair thingys https://www.postbuddysystem.co.uk - I have another fence that I want to try this out on - it looks like a cool idea.

• PRO
      Let us know if you try them. They look rubbish to me but could easily be proved wrong!
This reply was deleted.

Landscape industry Jobs

Experienced Tree Surgeon

Employer: Bawden Group

Job Type: Full Time

Wiltshire tree surgeons Bawden Tree Care, is part of the Bawden Group a privately owned company, delivering tree care and… Continue

Grounds Maintenance Supervisor

Employer: Bawden Group

Team Leader / Supervisor required to manage team(s) of mobile grounds maintenance and gardening staff in the delivery of grounds… Continue

Skilled Landscaper required

Employer: Scott\'s elite landscapes

Undertake all aspects of hard and soft landscaping construction. Using machines and setting out sites.. managing projects… Continue

Latest blog post

Trade green waste centres

Start a landscaping business

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Technical landscaping books

Blogs