Forum

Stihl Price Fixing

How are Stihl able to implement their so called safety policy of not allowing online sales for chainsaw equipment ?  It's just price fixing.  It means that you can only buy from your local dealer thereby removing the competition.  Husqvarna  has no such issue & as far as I am aware, neither do any other manufacturers. Several online retailers have banners apologising about Stihl & pointing out that Husqvarna don't implement such a policy.  Obviously their saws are safer !  It apparently makes them a lot cheaper.

I am amazed that this is allowed under EU competition law.  Has anyone found a way around this problem ?

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Isn't that the pruner attachment that I have fitted to my FS130 strimmer or are you referring to something else? Won't that just fit onto your shaft?              https://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/products-page/machines/brushcutters...

• This reply was deleted.
          • PRO
            Just checked - The whole combi HT unit with pole is cheaper than just the separate head ....
            • 130 is very cheap compared to the unit plus pole. Need to get the part number because they won't post it.
              • PRO
                HT attachment only is £173.34+vat or £130+vat discounted.

Kombi complete attachment is £183.00+vat or £128+vat discounted.

So, Once discount is taken it swaps around and head + pole works out cheaper...
  • PRO

I'd always much rather buy face to face from a dealer anyway. I have a great relationship with my dealer and get up to 25% off the book price now without asking. I highly doubt you can get that online, so I'd suggest don't worry about their prices, if you want one, just go to your local dealer, develop a relationship and buy one there.

• I am in Ireland. My local dealer charges list price for everything.
      There must be one heck of a margin if they can take that much off
      • Sounds like there's a good business opportunity here................ I buy the stuff from my local dealer with 20% off,  I then send it to you with a small mark-up, say 5% + postage!!  Everyone's a winner.  Sounds like there could be a good demand for this sort of service all over Ireland and maybe I can retire to the south of France :)  

• When I was looking last year to buy the Kombi system, did the online search and the cheapest was 30 miles away but if i collected could buy tomorrow. Dropped into my local dealer , 4 miles to see what prices they had on offer and for the whole kit and comboodle they were £80 cheaper but wait till Saturday he said as they had a Stihl day on and could discount even more, knocked another £40 off. :-)

• PRO

We have 3 local Stihl dealers and all give 20-25% off without asking as soon as they see you're not general public - Berkshire. All give good service and advice; we use mainly one for planned servicing and buying, but have used the others for emergency repairs. Competitiveness re pricing vs online has never appeared to be a problem.

• If I could buy online I would pay £156. The lowest discounted price here is £207
This reply was deleted.

Landscape industry Jobs

Landscape Operative

Additional landscape operatives required by commercial soft landscape contractor based in Crondall for immediate start. Landscape CSCS/CPCS preferable but not essential as full training given. Competitive salary and advancement opportunities for the… Continue

Junior Gardener

JOB BACKGROUND: Do you have high standards?  Are you able to commit to a role and work hard to maintain those high standards?  Are you keen to start a career in the horticultural industry with a company that will support and train you? Our Junior… Continue

Landscaper

Countryside Services is expanding – we have an increasing amount of bespoke, designed gardens on our books and need new staff. Your commitment to us: to be enthusiastically hard working (in all weathers), keen to learn and prepared to work long… Continue

Gardener

Our client is a successful family business with clients in both the residential and commercial sectors. They are now ready for the business’s next stage of expansion. They really are passionate about gardening and landscaping, providing a vast range… Continue

Latest blog post

Trade green waste centres

Start a landscaping business

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Technical landscaping books

Blogs

PRO Supplier

ICL paves the way for more games at Pride Park Stadium

Nathan Scarff, Head Groundsman at Derby County FC, has revealed that a range of ICL products have helped him achieve his main target of hosting more games at Pride Park Stadium without compromising on the quality of the pitch.

Nathan…

Read more…
PRO Supplier

After being selected as the official mower at the two most recent FIFA World Cup’s in South Africa and Brazil, Dennis Mowers will be the mower of choice for the 2018 tournament in Russia.

The Dennis G860 cylinder mower will have the task…

Read more…